General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User schander
(regular) Tue 01-Dec-15 12:57:24
Print Post

A second line inorder to get fttp

[link to this post]

Hi All,

My situation is a little strange. Where I live, the cabinet in the next street has FTTP. That cabinet serves houses either side of the cabinet that i'm connected to. Therefore OpenReach pulled fibre bundles to the other cabinet (cable chamber) and to the cabinet(cable chamber) that serves me, in order to get a shorter run to the houses further from the fttp cabinet I presume. I know that they have been installing FTTP to the house furtherest from the other cabinet from the fibre bundle located at my cabinet(cable chamber).

So my question is, How can I find out if the cabinet I'm connected to is full for new telephone lines connections? Secondly work out if i ordered a second line it would come from the cabinet with fttp? Which i know has capacity given 70% of the houses connected to it are on Virgin Media.

Information about the exchange/cabinets: SMBF, my cab 49T, other cab 44T.

Thanks
Satpal
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 01-Dec-15 13:15:33
Print Post

Re: A second line inorder to get fttp

[re: schander] [link to this post]

Both your phone number and your address should give the same results from this checker. (Ignore the pure postcode option).

Assuming that's the case, please can you copy and paste the table of estimates and the line above the table that specifies the cabinet number. (Edit out your number/address of course). Here's mine:-

Telephone Number xxxxxx on Exchange STEPPING HILL is served by Cabinet 19
FTTC Range A (Clean) 60 39.8 16.3 9.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 50.6 30 15.8 7.2 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 3 Up to 0.5 2.5 to 6.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 5.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

Then using the Address option of the same checker look up the address of the house where you say they have been installing FTTP and do the same with those results.

What I'm looking for is whether either or both show FTTC or FTTP on the first two lines and what it says about FTTP on Demand. Note that FTTP on Demand (normally called FTTPoD) is not the same as FTTP in terms of supply or price.

The cabinet number given for your results will be the one your second line would be provided from unless it is FTTPoD that you buy.

Are you sure you want a second line anyway? Or do you just think you have to have one?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Dec-15 13:37:23
Print Post

Cabinet 49T was down as part of the Commercial FTTP Project back in 2011, things can change, however Commercial FTTP projects have been delayed in favour of the BDUK Projects due to they have contractual deadlines that have to be met.

However, according to the BT Wholesale DSL Checker it says the following:
FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- This cabinet is under review. We'll explore fibre broadband solutions & will update once done..
So you are no longer down as FTTP but FTTC, now when this gets done I have no clue.

Now the BT Openreach Where and when page says its accepting orders but at the same time its saying "Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but your cabinet is not ready yet so you can't place an order today. It is in our plans to be upgraded and we update this info weekly, so please check back later." very strange.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User schander
(regular) Tue 01-Dec-15 13:37:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

RobertoS,
Here is the information requested:

Telephone Number xxxxx on Exchange BEDFORD is served by Cabinet 49T
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 80 20 20 -- 31-Mar-16
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 76.7 20 19 -- 31-Mar-16
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- 31-Mar-16

And for a house that has FTTP:
Address xxxx, ELSTOW, BEDFORD, MK42 9GP on Exchange BEDFORD is served by Cabinet 44T
WBC FTTP Up to 330 Up to 30 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The cabinet number given for your results will be the one your second line would be provided from unless it is FTTPoD that you buy.

However the council have been told by OpenReach/BDUK that there are no more copper lines available, from 49T as they would have used one to enable the FTTC cabinet that has been sat at the end of the road to the last 2.5 yrs!!!! We found out the other day that the chance of us getting fttc is pretty much nil because of some technical problem with connecting the cabinet, which I understand to be the running of a copper cable to handle to voice, well thats what the OpenReach engineer said when they were pulling the fibre. Apparently 49T is a secondary cross connection point from 44T.
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are you sure you want a second line anyway? Or do you just think you have to have one?

I'm only thinking about a second line if it would be supplied from cab 44T which would then enable me to get FTTP, even though they have been installing FTTP to houses and running the fibre past the front of my house.

Thanks
Satpal
Standard User schander
(regular) Tue 01-Dec-15 13:42:31
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Cabinet 49T was down as part of the Commercial FTTP Project back in 2011, things can change, however Commercial FTTP projects have been delayed in favour of the BDUK Projects due to they have contractual deadlines that have to be met.

However, according to the BT Wholesale DSL Checker it says the following:
FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- This cabinet is under review. We'll explore fibre broadband solutions & will update once done..
So you are no longer down as FTTP but FTTC, now when this gets done I have no clue.

Paul we have it on good authority, from OpenReach, that the fttc cabinet is very unlikely to be viable and that erecting the cabinet was a 'mistake'!!
BTW did you know that the team that updates the BT DSL checker only uses best guess, and don't have any solid information, which would explain why they have missed every deadline for the past 5 years!!!
Now the BT Openreach Where and when page says its accepting orders but at the same time its saying "Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but your cabinet is not ready yet so you can't place an order today. It is in our plans to be upgraded and we update this info weekly, so please check back later." very strange.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Dec-15 13:47:30
Print Post

Commercial rollouts which your postcode is under is like a bucket full of water and the water being areas being upgraded by the commercial project.
Now make a pin hole in that bucket and that is how fast commercial projects are being done.

I am in a similar boat, we are still down as a Commercial FTTP Project and we have been put on hold since end of 2011 when they first started to do our rollout, then nothing, we have all the fibre cables and hardware in the chambers and up the poles and we have been reassured many times now that its due to be completed very soon, our local MP (which is not too happy with BT at the moment) was told it would be ready yesterday, but sadly no, so I am wondering what their excuses will be this time.

I say just wait, it will happen.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Dec-15 14:00:46
Print Post

The BT DSL Checker uses the same info that BT Openreach give them, that's why when an error appears on the Where and when page its 9 /10 chances it will on the DSL Checker.
And what I said the BT Wholesale DSL Checker said is in fact correct, it is FTTC and is under review, so what is incorrect about that.

And it depends on who you spoke to at openreach, most of the time they just say random stuff especially when it involves dates.

As for missing deadlines I say the BT Wholesale checker can only change the dates doe to the lack of engineers doing the actual commercial rollouts.

But yeah I agree, it was probably a mistake moving over from FTTP to FTTC, also they should of had a rough idea that there would possibly be an issue when they did the survey for the fibre cabinet.

Paul
Standard User schander
(regular) Tue 01-Dec-15 14:04:32
Print Post

Commercial rollouts which your postcode is under is like a bucket full of water and the water being areas being upgraded by the commercial project.
Now make a pin hole in that bucket and that is how fast commercial projects are being done.

Get this the council asked BDUK to include us in the the second phase, which is supposed to cost between £400-£500 per premise and they were told that it was wasn't viable. However 44T which was done in phase one, £100-£200 per premise did the kicker here is that 70% of the houses connected to cabinet 44T have access to Virgin Media. I simply cannot see how OpenReach provided FTTP for 100-200 per premise and cannot provide it at 400-500 per premise and that was for a cabinet that already had 70% superfasts coverage.

I am in a similar boat, we are still down as a Commercial FTTP Project and we have been put on hold since end of 2011 when they first started to do our rollout, then nothing, we have all the fibre cables and hardware in the chambers and up the poles and we have been reassured many times now that its due to be completed very soon, our local MP (which is not too happy with BT at the moment) was told it would be ready yesterday, but sadly no, so I am wondering what their excuses will be this time.

Paul

At least you MP is doing something about it, my MP is Nadine Dorris (of I'm celebrity get me out of here, fame) and when i sent her an email I got a boiler plate answer, in letter form!! back from her.

Thanks
Satpal
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Dec-15 14:49:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by schander:

Get this the council asked BDUK to include us in the the second phase, which is supposed to cost between £400-£500 per premise and they were told that it was wasn't viable. However 44T which was done in phase one, £100-£200 per premise did the kicker here is that 70% of the houses connected to cabinet 44T have access to Virgin Media. I simply cannot see how OpenReach provided FTTP for 100-200 per premise and cannot provide it at 400-500 per premise and that was for a cabinet that already had 70% superfasts coverage.
Well I know that 44T either wasn't viable or wasn't part of the first phase of the Commercial rollout (i.e. the first 66%) according to the 2011 NGA Document, so I guess BDUK Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes took that project, you are aware that its your council that is doing the BDUK Project don't you?

Yeah I have seen some very strange stuff where BT Openreach would go out and install 36km of fibre cable for a small vilage to support 110 homes and refuse to install fibre to another location on a 4km length for about +750 homes, just makes me laugh.

Yeah, we cannot get Virgin Media due to being located in a conservation area do no digging up and installing cabinets down our roads, also being located in Greater London we are not elegable for the Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) projects.

In reply to a post by schander:

Paul

At least you MP is doing something about it, my MP is Nadine Dorris (of I'm celebrity get me out of here, fame) and when i sent her an email I got a boiler plate answer, in letter form!! back from her.

Thanks
Satpal
Yeah our MP seems to be doing stuff, and when he got ignored by BT by not responding to his email in a resonable time, he sent another email basically demanding answers, which we got, which wasn't that good if I say so myself, but this time round we seem to be getting somewhere, due to he was told its nearing completion and was given yesterdays date, and I was told that he asked for an update where he was told they will get back to him in a few days, so in a few days time I should know whats going on.

But yeah, our MP has been very helpfull to us over the years that we have know him.

What's the bet us two will end up being the last ones that end up getting the stupid Satellite broadband tongue
Which will really suck.

Paul
Standard User schander
(regular) Tue 01-Dec-15 16:45:02
Print Post

What's the bet us two will end up being the last ones that end up getting the stupid Satellite broadband tongue
Which will really suck.
Paul

Having said that satellite broadband offer 6meg up now and some offer unlimited download overnight, still more expensive than normal broadband, but not bad. I might be tempted given that the council are offering a grant for the setup costs. Then I could just take a monthly plan until we get wire broadband.

Thanks
Satpal
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to