General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mmaggiemay
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-15 01:30:00
Print Post

confused

[link to this post]

I am confused

I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me please on this issue ...

I am with BT provider with BT infinity which I am told has fibre optic.

I am switching to Vodafone . ( landline ,broadband internet ) Vodafone tells me that I can not get Fibre optic in my area
which I found strange confusing as BT told me I have fibre I am paying them for that service

So I went on the Open reach web site . Who confirmed that I can not get fibre optic broadband

I got this message .
Exchange name: Parsons Green

Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but demand is high on your cabinet right now. This means you can't order Superfast Fibre today but we're working to increase capacity as soon as possible

Am I getting it wrong
Is Super fast fibre different from Fibre optic ?

Or Am I write in thinking that BT is deceiving me charging me for a service that they are not providing me ?
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Dec-15 02:36:39
Print Post

Re: confused

[re: mmaggiemay] [link to this post]

What the checker is telling you is that yes, you can get an FTTC connection, that is, fibre to the cabinet and then copper to your home, but that due to high demand all available ports on the cabinet are in use with the result that no new connections are currently possible until capacity is increased. One of those connections existing connections is yours. What you need to explain to Vodaphone is that you already have an FTTC connection and that you wish to move to them not that you are looking for a new connection.

BT is not deceiving you. Superfast and fibre optic connections, in this case are the same although strictly the connection is only fibre to the cabinet. Vodaphone are also correct in telling you that they currently cannot arrange a NEW connection.
Standard User solchain
(learned) Wed 02-Dec-15 09:55:44
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Would there be a risk that if the OP went to Vodafone that he could be put on the waiting list for their cabinet as its at capacity and his existing port be used by the next in the waiting list?

I don't know how transfers and the waiting lists work?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Dec-15 11:49:45
Print Post

[re: solchain] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mmaggiemay:
Am I getting it wrong
Is Super fast fibre different from Fibre optic ?

I am with BT provider with BT infinity which I am told has fibre optic.

What Openreach calls "superfast fibre" is the same as "fibre optic", and shows that at least some of your broadband service is provided over fibre. For a few people, this fibre goes all the way from the exchange to the home; for most people, the fibre goes as far as a local street cabinet, and connects to the final bit of copper into the home.

The "superfast" label is used to indicate it can go faster than 25Mbps.

BT Retail (the ISP part of BT) uses the "Infinity" branding when they sell a "superfast fibre" service to you. It is the same thing, just two slightly different names.

In reply to a post by mmaggiemay:
I am switching to Vodafone . ( landline ,broadband internet ) Vodafone tells me that I can not get Fibre optic in my area which I found strange confusing as BT told me I have fibre I am paying them for that service

Unfortunately, the customer service agents at ISP's aren't always given the full details about *why* a "superfast fibre" service isn't available to you ... the computer just tells them "no", and they relay the message to you.

You've checked independently, and found the reason why: the fibre equipment is fully utilised, and cannot accept more orders.

In order for any more orders to be accepted, BT will have to install some more equipment - which might be as simple as plugging a new linecard into the cabinet, but could be as complex as installing a whole new cabinet.

Until then, a new order will only be accepted when one of the existing fibre subscriber cancels their service.

In reply to a post by solchain:
Would there be a risk that if the OP went to Vodafone that he could be put on the waiting list for their cabinet as its at capacity and his existing port be used by the next in the waiting list?

There is indeed a risk that, if the OP cancelled their BT service, their port would be freed-up and grabbed by a different order. Leaving them with no ability to order a fibre service with Vodafone.

The "waiting list" and "order queuing" mechanism is very new. I don't know how many ISP's make use of it yet - presumably not Vodafone though.
Standard User solchain
(learned) Wed 02-Dec-15 12:01:03
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
In reply to a post by solchain:

There is indeed a risk that, if the OP cancelled their BT service, their port would be freed-up and grabbed by a different order. Leaving them with no ability to order a fibre service with Vodafone.

The "waiting list" and "order queuing" mechanism is very new. I don't know how many ISP's make use of it yet - presumably not Vodafone though.

I did wonder, not sure how much i would trust Vodafone to do this without loosing the port, I suppose it all depends on how much the OP uses/wants Fibre and how much he trusts Vodafone to do this correctly - interesting though.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 02-Dec-15 13:28:40
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Infinity is available with estimates of 15Mbps and above. Below that customers are offered "Faster broadband with fibre".

Most ISPs make no distinction between the FTTC estimates other than possibly not selling the 80/20 Openreach products to people with estimates below 40Mbps.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to