General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Tradewind25
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-15 11:32:56
Print Post

FTTP enabled router

[link to this post]

I am informed that the installation of FTTP in my village is now complete. I've been in touch with a couple of potential ISPs e.g. Zen. I'm being told that I need an "FFTP enabled" router. I'm not clear as to the full implication of this statement.

I currently use a TP-Link TL-WR841N router. This is what I have always known as a cable router (i.e. not an ADSL device) which has a 100Mbps WAN port. Nowhere do TP-Link describe it as FTTP enabled but I see no reason why its WAN port shouldn't be capable of being connected to the ONT of an FTTP line running at 80/20Mbps. Having said that I have no direct experience of FTTP so perhaps I am missing something here? (I appreciate that if I were to choose a connection faster than 100Mbps I would need a router with a Gigabit WAN port.)

The only other consideration I can think of is the processing capability of the router. To-date I have had a considerably slower connection but perhaps my current device lacks the grunt to cope with something closer to 100Mbps?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Dec-15 11:44:10
Print Post

Re: FTTP enabled router

[re: Tradewind25] [link to this post]

FTTP enabled router is something you won't see stamped on boxes, the generic description of a cable router is a more likely key phrase, or more technically, a router with an Ethernet WAN port and support for PPPoE

But be aware that running a PPPoE link at 80 Mbps while it fits in the 100 Mbps limit of the Ethernet port may tax the processor in the router, so what you have should work, but if things are slow consider a newer device with a Gigabit WAN port and more processing power. Looking at the actual router spec, it may or may not cope, certainly I'd expect the wireless side to struggle even if CPU is up to the job.

Better TP-Link at £74 the newer devices should cope with everything nicely and give you dual-band Wi-Fi to help tablets etc get the best speeds too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-15 11:49:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your prompt response. Certainly what you describe is in line with the thoughts I was developing.

I wonder does anybody else have experience of this router on an FTTP line? Or indeed have any other recommendations for a more suitable router? (I also have a Billion 7800N doing nothing right now.)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acting_funny
(member) Wed 02-Dec-15 12:27:02
Print Post

i picked up a wdr3600 from ebay and have been using that on infinity 3 (200mb), the C9 will be more than fine.

i found a romanian forum thread where people tested a bunch of routers on a gigabit PPPOE FTTP setup with varying results. https://goo.gl/JHkhXq
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Dec-15 17:22:00
Print Post

Do you mean FTTP or FTTC ? The difference is fairly important.

(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-15 17:47:30
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

FTTP - honestly!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Dec-15 21:37:31
Print Post

FTTP - honestly!

OK, lucky you. As said, a router with a configurable WAN port should do the trick.

Choice of service providers rather limited at present, the default Home Hub 5 that BT Retail dish out works well IMHO, saw one happily showing 310 meg wired and 200 meg wireless.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Dec-15 21:46:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Choice of service providers rather limited at present,
I just found out that Zen now support the full 330 FTTP option, granted its not cheap:
https://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/fibre-optic...

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to