General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bennettpaul85
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-15 15:51:23
Print Post

Changing supplier - cabinet full

[link to this post]

I currently have fibre broadband through Sky and once my contract runs out at the end of the year I will be looking to change to a new supplier (possibly talk talk or plusnet depending on who has the best deal at the time).

One possible issue is that my Fibre cabinet (Halifax 87) appears to be full and has a waiters list according to BT wholesale. What I don't want to happen is to lose my "slot" and be without fibre broadband as I waited years for it and cannot go back to the ADSL speed of less than 2Mb. Providing I switch properly by dealing with the new supplier will I keep my fibre "slot" or could there be problems with this?

Wondered if anyone else had any similar experiences?

Thanks!
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 02-Dec-15 15:54:58
Print Post

Re: Changing supplier - cabinet full

[re: bennettpaul85] [link to this post]

I think you may well lose your slot and it will be awarded to the first waiter on the list.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Dec-15 17:16:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Surely, as long as the OP goes for a migration he should be fine, shouldn't he ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 02-Dec-15 17:22:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

How can his new supplier place an order if there are no slots available?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Dec-15 17:23:47
Print Post

He already has FTTC, so on the day Openreach just reconfigure his existing port to his new ISP.

Makes sense to me, but then that doesn't mean it makes sense to CP's and Openreach.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 02-Dec-15 17:27:28
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

What I'm thinking is that the new ISP will order ADSL because they can't order FTTC.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Dec-15 17:31:59
Print Post

Could be, common sense will doubtless go by the by. [sad]

Standard User stubert
(learned) Wed 02-Dec-15 17:52:55
Print Post

[re: bennettpaul85] [link to this post]

When I switched from Sky to TalkTalk for FTTC I had to wait for availability on the connected cabinet even though I already had FTTC. As mentioned above, the new ISP cannot place the order if there is no availability. Your best bet is to keep an eye on the checker and order as soon as there is availability.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User bennettpaul85
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-15 18:05:03
Print Post

[re: stubert] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. Definitely sounds like there is some risk or not possible at all. Was thinking of changing to save a few £ as cancelling sky tv but not prepared to risk being put back on ADSL. I will monitor and not change unless there is spare capacity.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Dec-15 19:29:40
Print Post

[re: stubert] [link to this post]

When i migrated ISP's both BTW based i didn't really give it a thought, A FTTC >FTTC migration shouldn't require there to be spare capacity in the cab because as far as i'm aware there is no engineering work required at the FTTC cab for a migration , only the head end GEA Cable links get changed if going from BTW to GEA LLU such as sky and talk talk ,But it must be to complex for their systems perhaps or who ever is placing the order are doing something wrong
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to