General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bales1983
(regular) Wed 02-Dec-15 22:03:01
Print Post

Home extension readying for FTTC installation

[link to this post]

Hi all,

My current line wiring system Has one extension from the master to another socket which my modem plugs into and from the second socket another extension leads to a third socket for another phone, daisy chain style smile., I realise after BTO replace my NTE5 with a split variant the lower half will be filtered and the RJ11 left unfiltered.

Bearing in mind my extension is a standard untwisted extension with only pins 2 and 5 (blue/white and white/blue) connected, would it be possible to ask BTO to connect this whole extension to the unfiltered pins on the new faceplate? I realise id still need to microfilter the phone on socket 3 in this case and also given the length of extension to socket 2 being about 10 metres ill expect some sacrifice to sync speed also.

To have the Hub One in the vicinity of the master is not really feasible as its practically above the kitchen sink with no really close power sockets.

Sorry to rabbit on lol my main queries are: Will the extension work in the unfiltered connection with just pins 2 and 5 and will BTO deem this allowable? And is there any sort of algorithm for very roughly working out sync speed loss based on extension length or is it too variable?

Many thanks all and thank you for bearing with me smile

Lee
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 02-Dec-15 22:23:15
Print Post

Re: Home extension readying for FTTC installation

[re: Bales1983] [link to this post]

I don't recommend using untwisted wiring for FTTC. You can get a data extension kit which will install a socket for the modem to connect to using twisted-pair wiring.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Dec-15 23:26:15
Print Post

Re: Home extension readying for FTTC installation

[re: Bales1983] [link to this post]

If the extension is untwisted wiring then all bets are off on performance.

Best bet is to get the data extension installed at the time of install, or replace the untwisted cable yourself with CW1308 specification or better wiring.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to