General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Dec-15 18:26:21
Print Post

Managed FTTC installs

[link to this post]

Do any of the mainstream ISPs still book managed FTTC installs? BT is about to install our new AIO PCP/DSLAM and I'm hoping that I will be able to order an FTTC connection in the first quarter of 2016.

I need my internal wiring sorted out and the master socket restored to its original location. It was altered by BT when I had ADSL installed fifteen years ago with the master socket currently fitted to an extension cable run from an extension and the phone connection sent back using the second pair to the extension and original master socket. Whilst I could probably do this myself but would prefer to stay legal and get BT to do this for me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Dec-15 19:10:32
Print Post

Re: Managed FTTC installs

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Define mainstream, am sure Zen, IDNet, AAISP do it.

We do still see the odd BT Retail user with a managed install, may need a phone order placed and an install fee paying (or just foregoing the offers)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Dec-15 19:51:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks.

I would certainly include Zen but have to exclude AAISP as I should have said affordable mainstream. smile I'm a relatively heavy user and whilst I believe in paying a fair price (well 75 of us are gap funding the installation of the AIO) I cannot justify my paying for AAISP which I feel to be more suitable for home office and similar use. Not so sure about IDNet. I need to investigate.

I suspect that you may be correct in suggesting the need for a phone order. Likewise paying for an install fee is acceptable provided that I don't get one of the Kelly cowboys.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jroadley
(regular) Tue 08-Dec-15 17:47:37
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Friend had Plusnet FTTC in last 2/3 weeks and had engineer install (Not sure he paid for it) but the engineer moved the master socket, terminated all the extensions so he could get optimum speed.
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Tue 08-Dec-15 18:08:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

People will also get a Managed Install if their line tests faulty when they order FTTC, from BT Consumer anyway, not sure about others. An Openreach engineer (not subcontractor) appointment is required and at present these default to Managed Install with Home Wiring Solution for BT Consumer rather than Basic Install.
Standard User Bales1983
(regular) Tue 08-Dec-15 18:30:39
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

I am a Plusnet customer and upgraded from ADSL to Fibre today smile Mine was a managed install but i believe Plusnet have just ceased this, for a while new customers were self install and upgrades were managed but I think they are all self install now.

Had a slight issue with the engineer (contractor by the way) in that he advised me OR no longer supply the Home wiring solution and Plusnet should have sent me one, Didnt totally buy this and 'nothing I can do' soon changed to 'lets see what we can do'

Master socket moved to another room and current house extension reconnected to it. The guy also made a data extension of sorts with a length of CW1308 hardwired into the internal data connection of the master and connected an RJ11 on the other end! seems to be working ok wink
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 08-Dec-15 18:35:14
Print Post

[re: Bales1983] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bales1983:
a length of CW1308 hardwired into the internal data connection of the master and connected an RJ11 on the other end! seems to be working ok wink
Is that twisted-pair terminated by a plug?
Standard User Bales1983
(regular) Tue 08-Dec-15 18:40:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes it is smile
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Tue 08-Dec-15 18:41:02
Print Post

[re: Bales1983] [link to this post]

If you got a contractor then your line must have tested "line test OK" when you placed the order. That's a lie that OR don't supply the kit. There is no kit as such he just needs to pick up the two pair data extension cable or the thicker cat5 cable and cat5 faceplates from stores.

Edited by Icaras (Tue 08-Dec-15 18:41:38)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Dec-15 20:01:46
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

With a managed install the Data Extension Kit (Home Wiring Solution) has to be specifically ordered by the ISP. Even though it is free. My theory is that is to allow for the extra job time but that's just a guess.
Note 4: This is not offered as a discrete product but instead is part of the engineer installation connection variants. It will continue to appear as a zero cost transaction on your bill for information.
BT Consumer did this as standard, just in case it was needed. I'm not aware of any other ISP that did. It was presented as an option by Plusnet during the online ordering process. With a phone order I don't know whether the staff asked or not. IIRC they were supposed to but at least one failed. I think there was a thread where someone expected it but it wasn't on the order placed by phone, and the forum rep said they should have been asked.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to