General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chesternutz
(newbie) Sat 05-Dec-15 12:26:21
Print Post

HELP! Newbie to Fibre and VPN setup hardware PLUSNET

[link to this post]

Hi all.

im hoping to be able to setup a vpn via my router to allow me to hide my ip on all devices in the home. Mainly an android tv box using kodi and android app downloading torrents.

im on FTTC PLUSNET FIBRE
i have main socket connx to OPENREACH FIBRE MODEM (provided at setup as no dual modem/router)
**gives appx 34mbps hardwired on fibre
Connected to currently PLUSNET SAGEMCOM ZERO HUB 2704 Router (orig provided at install)
1 SEAGATE HDD Hub via ethernet to router giving me wifi access
1 tplink wifi 850RE extender (in hall 6mtrs from minix neo x8 android tv box- 14mbps on wifi)

i am wanting to replace just the SAGEMCOM ZERO HUB router for another i have bought already flashed with DD-WRT Firmware to allow VPN via PIA ASTRIL or DATHO.

i want to put the new TPLINK WR841N (cost was an issue so had to buy affordable) flashed touter in connected still to the OPENREACH Fibre modem and ethernet cable to SEAGATE HDD to enable wifi access to stored files.

i then plan to setup the vpn subscription i chose on the router hopefully via a webpage UI or with direct access web support rather than manually even software of an app that does it all ready for me would be great as im a noob and bit of a technophobe. Any inexpensive reliable and 24hr supported VPN recommendations HIGHLY welcomed too.

Can anyone advise will this still work as potentially just putting in a new router to divert traffic and poss tunnel to hide traffic on torrents from mobiles and VOD from tv box??
any advice or help and support GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks
(newbie) Sun 06-Dec-15 09:38:26
Print Post

Re: HELP! Newbie to Fibre and VPN setup hardware PLUSNET

[re: chesternutz] [link to this post]

Nobody wanna answer?!?!?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 06-Dec-15 09:55:33
Print Post

[re: chesternutz] [link to this post]

You appear to be asking:

1. Can a TP-Link WR841N make a PPPOE connection through the modem?
I would think Yes.

2 Can the WR841N run a VPN client to connect to PIA or Astril or Datho?
Don't know, but if DDWRT offers that, the I would think Yes.

Have I missed anything?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Dec-15 10:41:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

What's worrying me, in my relative ignorance of VPN, is the repeated "hide traffic from".

I thought in this sort of usage the purpose was to hide the WAN address. What have the individual pieces if kit got to do with it, unless perhaps on IPv6. I doubt if the OP is on the Plusnet trial of that. No doubt he'll say so if he is.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 06-Dec-15 10:56:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think the idea is to change the endpoint of the connection so instead of Plusnet being the originator of the traffic, the VPN tunnel will be to an ISP in say Sweden, where perhaps connections to TPB are not unlawful.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Dec-15 11:33:40
Print Post

That's what I understood as well, but the OP has several references to mobiles, TV and so on. Which if we are right aren't relevant.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 06-Dec-15 11:42:36
Print Post

It's because they all connect to the router and the router will be making the VPN connection, so the WAN side of the router will be a tunnel to the foreign endpoint.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 06-Dec-15 14:12:38
Print Post

Errr? I think I knew that. That's why I don't understand listing them all. They are irrelevant - if we understand the OP correctly.

However, pointing it out may help the OP, who says they are technophobic.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 06-Dec-15 14:15:02
Print Post

Yes, the OP is heavy going which is why I asked in the 3rd post.
(newbie) Sun 06-Dec-15 18:35:03
Print Post

Yes batboy thanks for pointing it out.

i listed each item as pref want to do vpn on router rather than diff setups n software for each piece of equipment.

not tried router yet to see if compatible with OR modem or if pptp can be setup on dd-wrt firware or in fact if have to start again with diff router ie tplink archer or asus but more out of budget.

thx guys
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to