General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Embraer
(member) Sun 06-Dec-15 11:48:35
Print Post

Suitable FTTP Router

[link to this post]

As a current user of an Apple Time Capsule on a 30mbit FTTC connection, could anybody advise whether it would be worth looking around for anything "better" on a pure FTTP other than the upgraded Apple model with -AC standard wifi? I'm not too fussed about any fancy settings, just giga-Ethernet and a rock solid wifi connect

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2, snorting along at 35mb with BT Infinity
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Dec-15 11:52:36
Print Post

Re: Suitable FTTP Router

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

What speed FTTP are we talking about?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Embraer
(member) Sun 06-Dec-15 11:54:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry, new build 330mbit

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2, snorting along at 35mb with BT Infinity

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 06-Dec-15 11:56:30
Print Post

The issue here is the WAN-LAN throughput and the PPPOE connection is well-known for using up processing power which may lead to reduced throughput.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Dec-15 16:28:25
Print Post

Go for a 4x4 stream Mu-MIMO 802.11ac router such as Linksys EA8500. The wifi on this router is brilliant and whilst it ain't cheap, you get what you pay for.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79999/20000 kbps
Powered by Linksys EA8500
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Dec-15 18:22:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Have been suggesting Netgear Nighthawks for a while, almost certainly overkill but to not have the router being the bottleneck

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 06-Dec-15 18:47:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Problem is that changing from Apple will disable the Expresses. I'd probably go for the latest Time Capsule/ Airport Extreme if that will handle the throughput.
Standard User Embraer
(member) Mon 07-Dec-15 22:32:30
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Good spot on the AE's on my signature. Have found them redundant in the property I'm in & was considering ditching them for some fast Powerline adaptors (or at least trying them out). Will look at the options suggested if I decide to stray from Steve Jobs' path to enlightenment smile

Standard User Embraer
(member) Wed 04-May-16 07:29:32
Print Post

Well the HH5 has a pretty poor wifi signal for the size of our property. It's coping well giving 300mbit over Ethernet but the signal drops to the point of not connecting after passing through a couple of walls. Am now looking for a robust wifi solution

iMac & plenty of mobile kit. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2, snorting along at 35mb with BT Infinity, Oh to be spoilt, forever more on Infinity 4
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-May-16 08:20:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Embraer:
Well the HH5 has a pretty poor wifi signal for the size of our property. It's coping well giving 300mbit over Ethernet but the signal drops to the point of not connecting after passing through a couple of walls. Am now looking for a robust wifi solution

I repeat ad nauseam, go for a 4 stream 802.11ac wifi router if you want the very best wifi coverage. The likes of HH5 are a pile of steaming poo for wifi coverage compared to the top end Mu-Mimo routers from Asus, Linksys, Netgear et al.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NQY3WO8/ref=s...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Max-Stream-MU-MIMO-...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-R7800-100UKS-Nighth...

Thank you BDUK for bringing FTTC to the Scottish Highlands
TalkTalk Business 80/20
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to