General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(regular) Wed 09-Dec-15 09:47:32
Print Post

ECI Modem into a switch

[link to this post]

Is this possible....

At present I have an ECI OR FTTC Modem running on my TalkTalk line, this is connected to a Linksys EA6900, which, in turn is connected to an 8 port gigabit switch

I want to ditch the Linksys as I'll be installing Ubiquiti UniFi ceiling mounted access points

Is it possible to go from the ECI straight to the switch and still have connectivity, i suspect not as it's a bridge so wont be doing DHCP (which i require)

I believe the Huawei can be hacked and changed from a bridge to a router, can the ECI do the same? And if so, anyone know how?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Dec-15 10:05:53
Print Post

Re: ECI Modem into a switch

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

The hack on the ECI is a more complex procedure requiring hardware changes

So easier to buy a HG612 that is already running in router mode or one of a number of VDSL2 modem/routers that are now available and turn off their wireless components e.g. Billion 8800NL at £69.99

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Dec-15 10:08:20
Print Post

I would say no as the FTTC modem is just that - a modem. It provides the connection to the network. It doesn't authenticate you to your ISP which is what the Linksys does .

An alternative would be the Billiob 8800nl which can replace the ECI modem and Linksys with a single unit. This in turn, can then be plugged into your switch.

-------------------------------------------
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
Speedtest
My BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nemeth782
(member) Wed 09-Dec-15 10:37:49
Print Post

Easiest to just turn off wifi on the Linksys.
Standard User connormill
(regular) Wed 09-Dec-15 11:03:59
Print Post

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WelshWArrior:
I would say no as the FTTC modem is just that - a modem. It provides the connection to the network. It doesn't authenticate you to your ISP which is what the Linksys does .

An alternative would be the Billiob 8800nl which can replace the ECI modem and Linksys with a single unit. This in turn, can then be plugged into your switch.

There is no authentication on the TalkTalk FTTC network
Standard User connormill
(regular) Wed 09-Dec-15 11:05:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The hack on the ECI is a more complex procedure requiring hardware changes

So easier to buy a HG612 that is already running in router mode or one of a number of VDSL2 modem/routers that are now available and turn off their wireless components e.g. Billion 8800NL at £69.99

May go for the huawei over an integrated unit as the Master socket is in an odd location so I have the ECI wall mounted and hard wired into it and then a Cat 6 running from there to the switch
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Dec-15 11:08:32
Print Post

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WelshWArrior:
I would say no as the FTTC modem is just that - a modem. It provides the connection to the network.
Both the Openreach "modems" are modem/routers locked down in bridge mode by Openreach.

It is easy to unlock the HG612 by flashing a version of the firmware that has been unlocked, then run it in modem/router mode. As MrSaffron says, unlocking the ECI one is much more difficult, opening up and taking a soldering iron to it.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Dec-15 11:16:05
Print Post

What sync speed is your FTTC?

I seem to remember BatBoy, (the first on these forums to run the HG612 in modem/router mode), recently saying the router component can run out of steam at high FTTC speeds. Maybe you would be OK on the 40 Mbps, but maybe even so it also depends on the sync and how many devices you are connecting and using simultaneously.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 09-Dec-15 13:01:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by connormill:
Is this possible....

At present I have an ECI OR FTTC Modem running on my TalkTalk line, this is connected to a Linksys EA6900, which, in turn is connected to an 8 port gigabit switch

I want to ditch the Linksys as I'll be installing Ubiquiti UniFi ceiling mounted access points
You will still need a router to route between the internet WAN and your LAN
Is it possible to go from the ECI straight to the switch and still have connectivity, i suspect not as it's a bridge so wont be doing DHCP (which i require)
That's right, not really, no. You're still going to need a router.
I believe the Huawei can be hacked and changed from a bridge to a router, can the ECI do the same? And if so, anyone know how?
Yes it can but you will have to do some soldering and load up a hacked version of DDWRT. It would be far easier to get a HG612 v3B from Ebay.

Or just keep the Linksys.

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 09-Dec-15 13:03:37)

Standard User connormill
(regular) Wed 09-Dec-15 13:48:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What sync speed is your FTTC?

I seem to remember BatBoy, (the first on these forums to run the HG612 in modem/router mode), recently saying the router component can run out of steam at high FTTC speeds. Maybe you would be OK on the 40 Mbps, but maybe even so it also depends on the sync and how many devices you are connecting and using simultaneously.

Good point!

I get the full 80/20 at the moment, speedtest.net gives me a ping of about 14ms 76mb down and 19mb up, the TT "super" router claimed a max attainable of about 107m

May just have to leave as is for now

Edited by connormill (Wed 09-Dec-15 13:48:48)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to