General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User djnucastle
(newbie) Fri 11-Dec-15 10:46:23
Print Post

BT fibre line double expected length. Can it be re-routed?

[link to this post]

Just found out that despite our house being 400-600 metres from the exchange as the crow flies, that our actual cable to the exchange makes some strange loop that makes it more like 1.5km (or worse), as confirmed by a BT engineer who just came to figure out why our 80/20 Infinity 2 connection was only achieving 16/1 speeds.

This comes after waiting 2 years for our Exchange Only lines were finally sorted out with a Cabinet being built next to the exchange.

The engineer tried to re-route things, presumably via switches/junctions/whatever to another cabinet but told us that that came out to be the same distance again.

So - I'm guessing that BT have failed to provide me a service that their checker told me would be at least 60mb down and 15mb up, which is frustrating but hey ho. I'm guessing I can ask for the Infinity 2 contract to be cancelled on that basis? It's only 2 weeks in.

As a hail mary play - is there any chance we could have our lines physically fixed, Network Re-assignment i think it's called? Not sure if given my circumstances it's something they would proactively do themselves, or whether i'm probably just SOL and would have to pay for it myself.

Help!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Dec-15 12:03:27
Print Post

Re: BT fibre line double expected length. Can it be re-route

[re: djnucastle] [link to this post]

Contract wise if they agree yes its possible, if they drag their heels you may have to start the telecoms adjudicator route

As for network rearrangement as you've had the see if there is an easy solution available, it is down to you paying the extra for the custom work

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 11-Dec-15 15:15:21
Print Post

Can you post your line stats from the HH5 please? They are in Troubleshooting > Helpdesk on the Web GUI.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User leexgx
(committed) Fri 11-Dec-15 16:50:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

will that matter if his line is 1.5km long

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 11-Dec-15 16:52:09
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

Yes it will give a good insight into the attenuation, noise margin etc at that distance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Dec-15 17:17:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

16 Meg down, 1 Meg up a thought occurred, is it possible that the user has been connected on ADSL2+?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 11-Dec-15 17:22:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sounds possible. Stats will confirm.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Dec-15 17:22:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Could be .... the stats would prove it one way or another as BatBoy said.

Standard User djnucastle
(newbie) Sat 12-Dec-15 13:23:40
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Ok stats are ....

6. Data Rate: 1257 / 18283
7. Maximum Data Rate: 1257 / 19289
8. Noise Margin: 6.5 / 6.8
9. Line Attenuation: 16.4 / 33.0
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 12-Dec-15 13:28:57
Print Post

Please can we have all the stats? Not just the bits you think we want smile. There are other things that may answer the latest question as to what sort of connection you are on.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to