General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Wed 16-Dec-15 12:45:52
Print Post

Openreach launch 55/10Mbs product

[link to this post]

Openreach have announced that they will offer a 55/10Mbs product as part of their range from next month. They have been trialling it for a while.

GEA-FTTC and GEA-FTTP 55/10 Mbps fibre tier

To increase the choice of speeds available for end customers and enhance the options available to our CPs, Openreach is pleased to announce the introduction of a new GEA-FTTC and GEA-FTTP Bandwidth variant at 55/10 Mbps. This product will follow the same rules of our currently available tiers on GEA-FTTC and GEA-FTTP.

- The monthly rental price for the 55/10 Mbps tier is £8.40.
- This will be available to order on 16 January 2016 (R3050).
- All terms and conditions that apply to existing GEA-FTTC and GEA-FTTP tiers (i.e. 40/2, 40/10, and 80/2) will apply to 55/10.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 16-Dec-15 13:13:41
Print Post

Re: Openreach launch 55/10Mbs product

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

A nice intermediate point that has been a while coming. Possibly from analysis of speedest data that BT has gathered.

Which ISPs will provide it though? Will Plusnet, for example, offer it as they only have 40/2 and 80/20 at present?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-15 16:08:19
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Which ISPs will provide it though? Will Plusnet, for example, offer it as they only have 40/2 and 80/20 at present?
Unless that's why they chose to withdraw 40/10 a couple of months ago? It would imply that they knew something ahead of BT's official announcement though :-/

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 16-Dec-15 16:35:36
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by MHC:
Unless that's why they chose to withdraw 40/10 a couple of months ago? It would imply that they knew something ahead of BT's official announcement though :-/

I did wonder that too ... however BT retail have still offered 40/10. Maybe there is a regular meeting between OR and the ISPs where suggestions and requirement are openly discussed between between them?

M H C

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-Dec-15 16:50:49
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

It's very odd that it isn't 60/10. I can understand not doing 60/15, but there must be some interesting stats suggesting the 55.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User bluemoon87
(newbie) Wed 16-Dec-15 17:12:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

my unsubstantiated guess is that there's probably a sweet spot that people will just pay for the 40 because they can't get anywhere close to 80 and 55 hits the nail on the head getting more revenue from that but still keeping those that can get closer to 80 on the higher tariff without wanting to drop down to the intermediate. As RobertoS said probably some interesting stats on the reasons surrounding it.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 16-Dec-15 17:15:11
Print Post

Isn't it just the same reason they offer 38 and 76 - it's what some percentage of customers are likely to get?

The midpoint of 38 and 76 is 57.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 16-Dec-15 17:22:26
Print Post

[re: bluemoon87] [link to this post]

Probably true ... I would hazard a guess that it approximates to where D2 starts to run out of capacity. As lines get longer, uses will initially lose the top of D3, then as D3 is eaten into U2 starts to be affected. When D3 is exhausted, possibly around 50 to 60 Mbps or so, there will be very little drop off due to length as U2 is at the top end.

If Max Achievable stats are looked at there might well be a "sweet spot" somewhere around the 50 to 55 Mbps mark.

What it might also do is to cause some users to downgrade from 80/20 to the 55/10, if they are only getting low 60s.

M H C

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-Dec-15 17:37:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Openreach do not offer 38 and 76.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Skilty
(member) Wed 16-Dec-15 18:16:02
Print Post

I think they mean after overheads it is 38 or 76...

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to