General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zarkrax
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 19:40:09
Print Post

Reduce Speed after power cut

[link to this post]

Had fibre installed a few weeks ago and was pleased with the performance I was getting 73down 18up.

As per my luck we had a power cut (fire at a substation) I think today was the last day of the ten day training period.

Router came on and synced at
DSL Link Up: Down Rate=79987Kbps, Up Rate=19999Kbps; SNR Margin Down=19.6dB, Up=23.7dB

Didn't think anymore about it until I did a speed test tonight and for some reason only get 45-50mb down, according to BT my profile is set to 77, I have tried disconnecting from the internet and re-connecting, and I rebooted my HH5 once nothing seems to have made a difference.

Anything more I can do? What else could be the cause?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 21-Dec-15 19:42:57
Print Post

Re: Reduce Speed after power cut

[re: zarkrax] [link to this post]

BT may be managing throughput because of congestion in your local area.
Standard User zarkrax
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 19:51:37
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ah ok thanks, that's intresting! It would explain a similar conversation I had with someone who was convinced BT throttled connections. I thought that was incorrect as it was suggested it was related to downloading too much. But now it seems he may have been correct and a victim of the congestion as well.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Mon 21-Dec-15 20:10:07
Print Post

Was the speed test carried out over wireless (or ethernet cable)?
Standard User zarkrax
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 20:25:42
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

It was on 5ghz N Wireless (That's what i have always tested on) It doesn't seem to matter it was day or night I always got 75 on the speed test. The wireless device fluctuates between 84mb and 108mb so it should have enough bandwith to do an accurate speed test, shouldn't it?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 21-Dec-15 20:34:36
Print Post

Well yeah, but it's always best to do speedtests wired to rule out wireless interference.
Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Mon 21-Dec-15 20:39:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The link speed on wireless is only a very rough guide. I have had 130Mbit link speed and unable to get above 10Mbit before, due to crosstalk from other networks. Although this is a lot less likely on 5Ghz.

If in doubt then wired is the way to go. Its absolutely essential to confirm if its an actual broadband problem or not.
Standard User zarkrax
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 21:18:44
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

OK it's official I am an idiot!!

Just did the wired test and got 79 down. Went back to wireless to double check and got 49 Down.

Massive apologies for wasting everyone's time. I guess the wireless is not as fast as it usually is for some reason this evening.

Also managed to annoy everyone in the house telling them to get off the internet so I could do speed tests!
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Mon 21-Dec-15 21:25:35
Print Post

Your not an idiot....they would have thrown the LAN cable in the bin. smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Dec-15 22:11:54
Print Post

Don't worry about it. Most of us are, until told about what we don't know. That's why you came here - to ask the question. We came earlier, so found out earlier.

The exceptions are rare. Think Faraday and Einstein et al.

IIRC in the UK there are 13 wifi channels, and whichever your router, (strictly speaking its WAP component), chooses you are likely to overlap with a nearby one. There was an excellent free checker called inSSIDer 3 that showed all around you. inSSIDer 4 that replaced it is chargeable.

Bear in mind that whatever channel your router is using it spreads over 2 each side, peaking on the one chosen. So 6 covers 4-8, 3 covers 1-5.

The wireless pages of your router should tell you what it has selected and let you change it to experiment. But without knowing what is around you are shooting in the dark.

It looks as if you can still get inSSIDer 3.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 21-Dec-15 22:14:03)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to