General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mjw219
(newbie) Thu 24-Dec-15 14:27:36
Print Post

FTTP/FTTH Suppliers

[link to this post]

Hi,

I live on the new Lyde Green estate in South Gloucestershire. We are fortunate in that we've been wired up with FTTH/FTTP fibre all the way to our homes. We are unfortunate in that it seems to be the case that we're being held over the barrel by BT as a result, as no other supplier seems to be able to connect us.

This is fine in the sense that I have good, reliable broadband but to get a good deal on anything utilities or broadband you have to switch at the end of the contract, and I can't even negotiate with BT because any time I contact them I get put straight through to their Fibre to the home team who know they have me where they want me to be, so I'm stuck paying a fortune.

I've found it extremely hard to research what suppliers other than BT are available as FTTH just seems to be an aside to articles about standard fibre (FTTC) or ignored completely. Most major suppliers seem unavailable to support my line.

Anyone have any further knowledge or ideas how I can research this further?

Thanks
Mike
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Thu 24-Dec-15 14:59:55
Print Post

Re: FTTP/FTTH Suppliers

[re: mjw219] [link to this post]

openreach supports 530+ providers, 150+ off those offer FTTC around 5 - 6 of those Offer FTTP -- its is a commercial decision for those service providers what they choose to offer
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Thu 24-Dec-15 15:01:30
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

also ifs a new development they they man not be provided any copper so you need to be looking for someone who offers an FVA service (voice over Fibre)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Thu 24-Dec-15 15:03:08
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

it could be worse -- you be bebe on a new homes development where no provision has been made and you get 1m or less
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Dec-15 15:13:08
Print Post

Zen are an obvious alternative.

So are Plusnet, but things are strange there: their FTTP strictly runs as a trial, where existing customers can be upgraded from ADSL to FTTP. However, I'm sure I've seen a couple of occasions recently where someone has joined Plusnet straight into an FTTP service; I can't recall how they managed this, but it won't have been a call into their standard sales line.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Thu 24-Dec-15 15:23:34
Print Post

wwwombat beat me in replying....

Zen do FTTP and also plusnet are running an on-going trial.

Zen https://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/fibre-optic..., and I would not recommend plusnet due to support (length of time to answer calls).

Another option is BT business.

edit (slow typer)

Edited by ian007jen (Thu 24-Dec-15 15:25:03)

Standard User georgelnx
(learned) Thu 24-Dec-15 20:14:04
Print Post

As you only have FTTH, with BT Retail you will have to take their FTTP with FVA (Voice over Fibre) which costs roughly the same as FTTC plus copper line phone rental for the 80Mbps option.

Zen have 80Mbps Unlimited for £38.75 per month when taken without line rental.

Plusnet have 80Mbps Unlimited for £22.49 without line rental. However to get on it, you need to be able to post on their forums so existing customers only. Plusnet customers do not need to have any phone line when on FTTP, I use VOIP from Sipgate as my alternate telephone supplier.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Dec-15 21:12:02
Print Post

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

You can use voip on adsl and fttc, unless your home is a new build with no copper pair in the ground (fibre only ) you wont get ftth from plusnet without having a copper pair as well
And they only offer a max of 80/20 no option of faster speeds

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 24-Dec-15 21:15:47)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 25-Dec-15 11:36:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by mjw219:
Anyone have any further knowledge or ideas how I can research this further?
This might help: Plusnet FTTP forum.
I can browse the forum without being logged on, and you may be able to register anyway.
Happy Xmas

Michael Chare
Standard User georgelnx
(learned) Sat 26-Dec-15 13:28:07
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Tommy45

Well, I'm a Plusnet FTTP customer. Have been for over 2 years. And although there is a copper land line (that's how I got ADSL before the FTTP install) , Plusnet have allowed that line to be ceased as the FTTP trial does not require a working home phone. There is a thread on the FTTP community forum all about ceasing your copper (or alu) phone line. Drop Phone Line

And yes, the max speed from Plusnet is 80Mbps but the OP was complaining about costs so that limits what you can do.

And finally, yes I know you can use VOIP over all the other technologies, but I was highlighting to the OP that with Plusnet you do not need a phone line at all, so if you want a pseudo land line then VOIP is a way to go.

Edited by georgelnx (Sat 26-Dec-15 13:38:57)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to