General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User craski
(newbie) Sun 27-Dec-15 21:37:41
Print Post

Huge drop in speeds through evening

[link to this post]

My new Zen fibre broadband modem syncs at 79987 Kbps.

Through the day, speed tests are typically >60 Mpbs but in the evenings, I get a huge drop in speed like this...
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

I am pretty disappointed with this. Is this congestion?

My BQM graph on this connection for same date/time of this speed test is here ...
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/169e190c162...
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sun 27-Dec-15 23:26:47
Print Post

Re: Huge drop in speeds through evening

[re: craski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craski:

Quite possibly. I would suggest pursuing the issue with Zen, as they are not a cheap supplier.

Michael Chare
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Dec-15 00:37:29
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:

Quite possibly. I would suggest pursuing the issue with Zen, as they are not a cheap supplier.
unless you happen to be connected to an exchange that has a zen LLU presence (pop) then this congestion will be down to BTW's network,(back haul) possibly a SVLAN or other part of bt's network
If you are seeing similar via the BTW speedtester /P tester and it's offering a TAP3 test then run that by changing your log in details and DNS servers set to auto if they aren't normally or it wont work, (BT assume quite wrongly that everyone uses their isp's dns servers), but don't run more speed tests on that tester until Zen support have seen/recorded the low performance results , as each new test will overwrite the previous result
Once you have the proof that zen require in order to raise it with BTW , they will likely ask you about availability for an engineer visit, though an engineer visit would be pointless, (because they can only check the copper pair to your home from the cab)

this is down again to btw systems, which is successful at wasting both the isp's &customers time, stalling IMO before they actually look into it, and if possible move you onto another Svlan that has a lower utilization level , BTW run their kit hot in parts of this country

Had peak time issues a couple of times , but they got resolved after a little hoop jumping , like testing connected direct to BT modem(no router) to see if it gave different results , but i suppose they like to rule out EU equipment regardless

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 28-Dec-15 00:57:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AdrianPH
(regular) Mon 28-Dec-15 05:35:35
Print Post

Your TBB monitor graph looks familiar.

I left Zen because the FTTC connection was so erratic. Lots of packet loss and peaks of high latency.

My graph was showing lots of high blue and yellow spikes, even between 9.00 pm and 3.00 am, it looked like someone running large downloads.

This was every single day, thing is all our systems are off by 9.00 pm, WiFi is also shut down at night.

Moved to Uno , (still via BTW ) and the graph is clean, no big peaks, no packet loss , no speed changes.

UNO FTTC : Synch : 80/20 : Grade A : Download 75.31.Mb/s : Upload 18.71 Mb/s : ping 10 ms

BQM
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Dec-15 09:59:51
Print Post

I've noticed a slight drop in performance from mid-October onwards with my line. No idea why. Not really too fussed as it hasn't affected me much. I'm watching what A&A will be announcing in January with terabyte FTTC packages being available through the Talk-Talk wholesale back-haul - may well jump ship in May (when my Zen contract is up) if things look promising with that.

I don't feel Zen are as good as they were a decade or so ago. It "feels" like they have become a bit slack with their offerings and general customer service. I've had plenty of disconnections/reconnections in the last month, no idea why, as nothing on the line has changed - I suspect it has been upgrades/config tweaks relating to IPv6 deployment. They still haven't got reverse DNS sorted out with IPv6 yet (no big deal, I guess) but A&A have had this ground work done for years now, and Zen are giving me the impression they are in no hurry to sort any of this fundamental stuff out.

Zen Unlimited Fibre + Native IPv6 (Trial)
Automated Hourly HTTPx6 TBB Speed Tests (3xIPv4+3xIPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?

Edited by mixt (Mon 28-Dec-15 10:20:58)

Standard User craski
(newbie) Mon 28-Dec-15 13:31:18
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

Good to know, thanks for input.
Standard User craski
(learned) Mon 28-Dec-15 13:32:55
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:

Agree, definitely not cheap. I do intend to raise it with them but was keen to get opinion of others on TB too smile
Standard User craski
(learned) Mon 28-Dec-15 13:33:58
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Thanks for info. I'll make a point of doing a BTW speed test tonight when it all slows down again.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 28-Dec-15 15:01:15
Print Post

Is this wired or wifi?
Standard User craski
(learned) Mon 28-Dec-15 15:21:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy: