General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Tue 29-Dec-15 00:54:19
Print Post

Which exchange for FTTC

[link to this post]

So finally getting FTTC installed on Jan 11th... smile

I just wondered how I would find out which 'head-end' exchange I am connected to?, unless I am misunderstanding how things work slightly then I am not (for FTTC service) connected to the small 20CN exchange in my village?, i.e. the backhaul connectivity is coming from a larger 21CN exchange (head-end?) probably within a 20KM radius?, and if so I should be able to get LLU services offered from that exchange?, or am I just stuck with BTW services that are offered at the exchange in my village? frown

Thanks (even if the answer is the later!).
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 29-Dec-15 01:04:27
Print Post

Re: Which exchange for FTTC

[re: Spetznaz] [link to this post]

If you mean Sky and TalkTalk FTTC, I think so. Putting your phone number into their estimators should show whether they will supply you with it.

But if you are getting it installed on Jan 11 surely you have already have signed up for 12 months or longer with a BTW one?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Tue 29-Dec-15 01:17:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah already signed up with BTW for 12 Months, just thinking ahead long term and out of interest really, Sky is showing as available but not sure how to tell the difference between BTW Sky and their own?

Sky Fibre Unlimited is the package..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Dec-15 01:32:20
Print Post

Strictly, an LLU operator could connect you from the Openreach layer 2 switch at the head-end exchange into their LLU backhaul, which would get your data connection working. However, they have no way to connect your voice service to their MSAN, because that needs to be in the original exchange.

The LLU companies tend, nowadays, to not want to use BTW WLR products for the voice - which would be the only option left - so they'd turn down your business.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 29-Dec-15 08:00:09
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I used to think that, but am fairly sure I was proved wrong. I think it was true in the early days of FTTC but Sky changed their mind.

TalkTalk may be as you say.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Tue 29-Dec-15 09:11:32
Print Post

BTW Sky broadband or Sky Connect, as they call it, is an ADSL product.
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Tue 29-Dec-15 10:26:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Which makes sense - as I checked both Sky yes TT no.

smile
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Tue 29-Dec-15 10:27:51
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Okay thanks, so looks like I can get LLU Sky then.
  Print Thread

Jump to