General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wyterabitt
(newbie) Tue 29-Dec-15 17:47:26
Print Post

infinity extension

[link to this post]

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to post wasnít sure.

I am going to be extending my infinity from the master socket into a little dsl wall socket in the bedroom so I can put the router in there instead (engineer wouldnt install one, said he had never heard of it and they dont do it which was strange - maybe he just wanted to not bother as it was the 24th and I think I was the last job 40m late).

I am actually going to use an ethernet cable from the master socket to the wall socket, and even though the rj45 will fit a master socket (I have only just learnt this, I thought they were rj11 but apparently not) I want to do it neater by taking the head off and wiring into the connectors inside. The problem is I cant find a guide on which wires will need to go into which part (it is the standard infinity master socket with data and voice separate) - not even for normal CW1308 let alone ethernet cable. Could anyone point me in the right direction, I am probably just missing something obvious as I am never sure what exactly to search for.

Appreciate any help, thanks.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-15 17:52:12
Print Post

Re: infinity extension

[re: wyterabitt] [link to this post]

I am actually going to use an ethernet cable from the master socket to the wall socket, and even though the rj45 will fit a master socket (I have only just learnt this, I thought they were rj11 but apparently not) I want to do it neater by taking the head off and wiring into the connectors inside. The problem is I cant find a guide on which wires will need to go into which part

It is only a single pair required to make the data extension cable, not sure on what you plan to terminate the other end in to though ?

Standard User wyterabitt
(newbie) Tue 29-Dec-15 17:59:05
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I might be buying seperately, but the idea was from this kit http://www.claritybroadband.co.uk/clxcart/BT-Openrea... - I was just going to buy that but when I checked the site it had some problems for a while in the past and I dont know if they are ok again.

So it would be the cable from master socket to the rj11 wall socket.

Edit: So could any pair be used is that what you mean, and just ignore the other wires?

Edited by wyterabitt (Tue 29-Dec-15 18:05:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Dec-15 18:42:00
Print Post

So long as the pair connects to the correct connectors at each end then yes any pair will suffice.

NOTE: You need to use solid core cable if connecting to IDC jaws and make sure the Ethernet cable is copper rather than copper coated aluminium which some cheaper kits may be.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wyterabitt
(newbie) Tue 29-Dec-15 19:10:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, seems to be pretty simple then.

I never thought about them being copper coated only so thanks for mentioning that as well.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 29-Dec-15 23:28:55
Print Post

Here's a daft question, but better safe than sorry. You are aware that by "pair", this means a colour-coded pair such as blue/white + white/blue?

Not any two wires such as blue/white + orange/white.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User wyterabitt
(newbie) Wed 30-Dec-15 03:22:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yea, even as someone with little (no) experience just the simple phrase "twisted pair" meant I wouldnít make that mistake - and to be fair I canít imagine why I would go out of my way to take one wire from one group and another from another, it would be a strange decision even if I wasnít thinking it through completely.

Thanks for making sure I realised though.

Edited by wyterabitt (Wed 30-Dec-15 03:22:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 30-Dec-15 08:27:58
Print Post

I agree with what you say, but split pairs are quite common. How anyone comes to do that is another question smile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User wyterabitt
(newbie) Wed 30-Dec-15 18:48:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just in case anyone is interested, the cable I did get is over half price at the moment in the UK on Amazon and seems good quality (but it is only available in the UK for some reason all the cables say unavailable for the US Amazon site I checked before posting this)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-Professional-Headed-...

25m Cat6a £12.99 (£14.99 for white)
30m Cat6a £17.99 for both colours but white is limited stock

I might have got a terrible deal still, I donít have any experience buying, but thought I would share for any UK users in case this is worth it.

Edited by wyterabitt (Wed 30-Dec-15 19:08:43)

Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Wed 30-Dec-15 19:04:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by wyterabitt:
I want to do it neater by taking the head off and wiring into the connectors inside. The problem is I cant find a guide on which wires will need to go into which part (it is the standard infinity master socket with data and voice separate) - not even for normal CW1308 let alone ethernet cable. Could anyone point me in the right direction, I am probably just missing something obvious as I am never sure what exactly to search for.
the master socket faceplate filter should have a pair of AB unfiltered terminals
Andrew's page here http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/ shows them.

Edited by ggremlin (Wed 30-Dec-15 19:24:47)

Print Thread

Jump to