General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JJ3
(newbie) Sat 02-Jan-16 10:05:33
Print Post

Cardigan Cabinet 17

[link to this post]

Hello,

New here and posting as I'm trying to work out when my dad can get fibre (he's desperate to leave talktalk as he's fed up of their customer service - and the combination of sky for tv and talktalk for everything else is, to say the least, pricey).

After having been bounced around between various people at BT I decided to do some digging for information but I've come to the point where I can't really find out what I need to know and was wondering if anyone had a link they could point me to? Apologies if it's been posted on the forum anywhere else (I'm not mighty with the search fuinction.)

From being bounced around various people at BT and a chunk of googling, it appears that there's no capacity in the cabinet for him to get fttc - which is irritating as he's no more than 10 yards from it. What I can't find out is if there's any way to work out if an increase in capacity in there is planned and when this might be? (short of having him take a cup of tea out to the next engineer that turns up and asking them)

Thanks for any help!
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Jan-16 10:26:13
Print Post

Re: Cardigan Cabinet 17

[re: JJ3] [link to this post]

Ive no doubt its on their to-do list, but its a difficult period for Openreach at the moment with the holidays, weather and outstanding bduk work , so maybe sometime. In the meantime keep checking as a port may become available.
Standard User JJ3
(newbie) Sat 02-Jan-16 11:38:19
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply - just have to sit tight and shout at talktalk for a while longer!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MacLe0d
(newbie) Sat 02-Jan-16 12:33:49
Print Post

[re: JJ3] [link to this post]

Can't he leave talk talk now, and just upgrade to fibre when it arrives with his new supplier?
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 02-Jan-16 19:24:33
Print Post

[re: MacLe0d] [link to this post]

Keep in mind that his "new supplier" or old, is absolutely dependent on what is available on the newer FTTC Cabinet, which seems to be referred to-

" it appears that there's no capacity in the cabinet for him to get fttc - which is irritating as he's no more than 10 yards from it."

My local FTTC a similar distance from my front door, has an eventual total capacity of 288 FTTC/VDSL connections.

It went live slightly early in March 2014, from on-site work started November 2013, with only 48 of those connections available, ie they had the small Filter/Links installed in the first group of the (6x48=288) back-plane.

The second group of 48 was added in June 2015.

So in its case, depending on when the groups of F/Ls are added etc, there can be a number of occasions when new VDSL circuits are/could be "temporarily" not available.

And there is a lot more to upgrading to so-called Fibre, which is actually only Fibre to the FTTC, relying on the existing "D-Side" copper from the older PCP, Cab 17 for that case, to the user, plus the new double-links from the PCP to the FTTC to carry the VDSL signals.
  Print Thread

Jump to