General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eyezest
(newbie) Tue 05-Jan-16 15:04:40
Print Post

BT Infinity 2 Terrible Upload Speed

[link to this post]

I bought a new build house and just had bt infinity 2 installed. The advertised speeds on the BT website were between 60MB-79MB. On the btwholesale checker the results showing up are:

FTTC Range A (Clean) 79.2 59.7 20 18.8
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 71.4 46.2 20 13.9

However, when the openreach engineer come to upgrade from the copper broadband to FTTC, he tested the service and said I could only get 40MB download and 2MB Upload. This is more a less what I am getting on the speedtests on the computer (35.53MB down and 1.83 Up). I am completely shocked with the 2MB upload speed. Something has to be wrong with the connection either here in the home or in the cabinet. I can't understand that I only get 2MB upload when I should get at least 7 times that. The cabinet is just down the road, no more than 400m from the house.

I really need a faster upload and I bought this house because the expected speeds where much higher. I do a lot of photography work and I need to do massive uploads to the cloud. Does anyone know what might be the problem and what I can do to try to sort this out? Any similar experiences here on the forum?

Many thanks for your help. Really Appreciated.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 05-Jan-16 15:10:19
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity 2 Terrible Upload Speed

[re: eyezest] [link to this post]

Please post the line stats available from the Homehub 5 web GUI in Troubleshooting > Helpdesk.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 05-Jan-16 15:21:04
Print Post

400m? Can you trace it out with some accuracy, assuming you know te cable routing. From house, to pole, to pole ... to PCP AND then to the fibre cabinet.

At 400m you should be seeing full 75+ Mbps on a good quiet line and even on a noisy line, 60Mbps. As Batboy asks - a full set of stats will tell a lot. You may have been pout on a 40/2 profile in error.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Jan-16 18:21:04
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Either a 40/2 IP Profile, or more likely the port at the street cabinet DSLAM has been configured wrong, or the order from BT Retail was placed wrong.

The line stats should resolve this as they'll be nailed to the maximum speeds possible on that port configuration if its a dslam issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 05-Jan-16 18:37:18
Print Post

It's worth running this BT Wholesale test. The down and up IP Profiles are what we need to know. The UP one in particular tells us which FTTC product you are on.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User eyezest
(newbie) Tue 05-Jan-16 20:10:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Many thanks for all your replies so far. I can't be sure about the cable routing but the cabinet is around 400m almost straight down the road, so i can't imagine cable routing being much more than that. The line stats are below. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
3. Firmware version: v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated 13/12/2015
4. Board version: 01
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:06:10
6. Data Rate: 1999 / 39998
7. Maximum Data Rate: 22886 / 64477
8. Noise Margin: 22.6 / 17.9
9. Line Attenuation: 17.3 / 15.9
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
11. Data sent/received: 5.1 MB / 24.3 MB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
22. Firewall: Default
24. Software variant: -
25. Boot loader: 0.5.0-BT (Tue Jun 17 18:52:56 2014)
Standard User eyezest
(newbie) Tue 05-Jan-16 20:16:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have just done this test. It seems my IP profile is wrong but you certainly will now more than me about this. Results below. Let me know what I should do to sort the problem. Many thanks.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 45.03 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-38.72 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.72 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.31Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 05-Jan-16 20:30:29
Print Post

Your latest two posts confirm that you are capped at 40/2 - as I predicted.

These stats suggest you should be seeing sync speeds of 64.5/20 with throughputs of around 60/18.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 05-Jan-16 21:08:19
Print Post

Not wrong, but also very wrong. Just what I was looking for.

On an FTTC connection, with a few exceptions the upstream IP Profile tells us the Openreach product you are on. It is not determined by the connection speed like the downstream is, but is fixed at the maximum for the product.

Infinity is not one of the exceptions. The Openreach products are 40/2, 40/10 and 80/20. Therefore you have been put on a 40/2 connection and it isn't to do with any restrictions within the BT Retail system.

As MHC says, in conjunction with the line stats you have also posted, which tally exactly with the maximum sync's in both directions for that product, there is no doubt.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User eyezest
(newbie) Tue 05-Jan-16 23:25:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your replies. If the problem is with the IP profile Openreach put me on, how can I change this?

It is always a nightmare to contact BT retail and it takes ages to sort something out. I was waiting for BT Infinity 2 for more than a month because the system kept cancelling my order automatically due to data integrity issues or whatever they called it.

Let me know what is the best way to proceed to sort the IP profile problem. Many thanks for your help with this. It is greatly appreciated.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to