General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Wed 06-Jan-16 23:59:26
Print Post

Upgrades to new 55Mbps service

[link to this post]

I understand Openreach are going to soon be offering 55Mbps as well as 40/80?, my question is how easy will it be to upgrade?, I believe my line will support around the 55Mbps mark so the upgrade may be worthwhile, but I have only just got FTTC available and it is being installed (40Mbps) on the 11th of Jan, I am hoping the fact I have signed up to a '12 month contract' wont impact on my ability to upgrade when it becomes available?, does anyone know yet?, I am guessing it would be much the same as an upgrade from Infinity 1 to 2 (40 to 80)?.

Edited by Spetznaz (Thu 07-Jan-16 00:00:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Jan-16 00:11:56
Print Post

Re: Upgrades to new 55Mbps service

[re: Spetznaz] [link to this post]

Same mechanism as upgrades from 40 to 80 Mbps services, as for contracts will all depend on what the retailers want to do.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Jan-16 01:24:08
Print Post

It is expected to be available to ISPs from Openreach from 16 January. How quickly the ISPs start selling it is up to them.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jan-16 08:19:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

After ordering BT TV last week I suspect that the product is aimed primarily at BT Retail and PlusNet.

The reason I say that is when I tried to order the UHD TV package I was told I couldn't as my broadband connection was less than 55Mbps. That essentially means that no-one on BT Infinity 1 can order the UHD product. Seems too coincidental that the new product is set at exactly the same speed as BT require users to have for the top end TV package.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Jan-16 09:02:49
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

?
How would it help that? It's a maximum not a minimum, so 54.9Mbps is still too low. Even more so if they continue to apply the lower estimates, independent of actual sync.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jan-16 09:06:49
Print Post

It just seems highly coincidental and I am assuming it is to support UHD.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Jan-16 10:02:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

But it won't, according to the rest of your post. Everybody on it will be below 55Mbps.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 07-Jan-16 10:03:27)

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Jan-16 10:32:09
Print Post

For anyone reading this unaware of this soon-to-be new service (me), here's the original publication from OpenReach:

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefi...

Zen Unlimited Fibre + Native IPv6 (Trial)
Automated Hourly HTTPx6 TBB Speed Tests (3xIPv4+3xIPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Jan-16 10:32:51
Print Post

I'm trying to understand why they picked 55. 60, yes (half way between 40 and 80), but 55? Mysterious.

Zen Unlimited Fibre + Native IPv6 (Trial)
Automated Hourly HTTPx6 TBB Speed Tests (3xIPv4+3xIPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User lee111s
(regular) Thu 07-Jan-16 10:34:46
Print Post

I believe the actual throughput needed for the UHD channel is 44meg so the 55meg sync speed will be to allow for overheads and some fluctuations in throughput.

Quite why they didn't go 60 is a bit bizarre but I suspect it's also to do with the average amount of people that can expect a reasonable uplift in speed to somewhere between 40-55meg.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to