General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blueboy
(committed) Thu 07-Jan-16 01:39:58
Print Post

Master Socket

[link to this post]

Hi

Ok bit of a weird one this, had a few drops in speed recently so decided to plug the router directly into the master socket to see if there were any problems with the internal wiring, plugged in no internet on the computer but wireless was working, tried other cat cables just in case the one I tested with was a dud, no connection to the broadband, but wireless working plugged it back into our wall socket and the internet worked, any ideas why this would happen ?

BB

BlueBoy was here heheh
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Jan-16 11:36:44
Print Post

Re: Master Socket

[re: blueboy] [link to this post]

How sure you are you that you are connected to your own wireless network? When you say wireless worked - you do mean you had Internet access to websites. not just a message saying connected.

If the only thing physically moved was the RJ11 (Internet lead) on the modem then should have no effect on the Ethernet side of things.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blueboy
(committed) Thu 07-Jan-16 15:30:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew

The wireless was tested on the mobiles and we did look at some web pages to check also showed wireless was connected on the router lights. Router was moved and a longer cat cable was used (tested on 3 different cat cables)

BB

PS computer was not showing bb connection at all

BlueBoy was here heheh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Jan-16 16:17:46
Print Post

And those exact same cables work when the router is in its normal position?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blueboy
(committed) Thu 07-Jan-16 16:31:11
Print Post

Hi

Not the same cables as when router in normal position connected to the phone socket, as that has a shorter cat cable that came with the router.

BB

BlueBoy was here heheh
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Jan-16 16:49:27
Print Post

So you need to check if the cables work when the router is in its normal place then, i.e. on the LAN connection from the PC to the LAN socket on the router.

Standard User blueboy
(committed) Thu 07-Jan-16 18:33:12
Print Post

Hi Andrew

Thank You, will try later when grandchildren are in be heheh. Will update after trying.

BB

BlueBoy was here heheh
Standard User blueboy
(committed) Thu 07-Jan-16 23:15:44
Print Post

Hi Andrew

Cat cable is working when in my normal place, really puzzled now only thing I can think of is that the test socket is not working ?

BB

PS just checked phone directly into the master socket and that does not work either

BlueBoy was here heheh

Edited by blueboy (Thu 07-Jan-16 23:32:26)

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jan-16 23:45:01
Print Post

Perhaps you could plug a telephone into the test socket and see if that works. Is it possible that there is another master socket somewhere else?

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User blueboy
(committed) Thu 07-Jan-16 23:51:30
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Hi

Its the box where the phone line enters the house so fairly sure that's the master socket, plus I already tried the phone see above, thanks for the input though.

BB

BlueBoy was here heheh
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to