General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchannon
(learned) Fri 08-Jan-16 09:40:42
Print Post

FTTC engineer coming soon, master socket has no power close

[link to this post]

Hi.

I have a engineer coming soon to update the master socket with the new faceplate. The master socket is located in the lounge however, there are no power cables close to it. There is a BT extension socket in the hallway that extends from the master and the cables I believe go up some trunking inside the wall. I use a microfilter for the phone and modem/router in the hallway where there are power sockets.

I understand that the FTTC engineer will only update the master socket and thats where the modem will have to be plugged into?

Is it worth me trying to get a local engineer in to move the master socket into the hallway or will the FTTC engineer be able to use the hallway socket somehow?

Thanks
Standard User lee111s
(member) Fri 08-Jan-16 10:16:52
Print Post

Re: FTTC engineer coming soon, master socket has no power cl

[re: jchannon] [link to this post]

He may well be able to convert the one in the hallway to the master socket. There will be a solution, if you're nice and provide tea and biscuits, he might just be prepared to do that little bit extra outside the norm wink
Standard User jchannon
(learned) Fri 08-Jan-16 10:20:44
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Yeah I have heard that, but also heard it depends on whether its a BT engineer of contractor. My ISP believes it might be a contractor and from what I've read they tend to be paid per job so are in/out as quick as possible.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keith969
(member) Fri 08-Jan-16 10:27:54
Print Post

Can you not run a power cable to the master socket?

BT Infinity 2, 43mbs down 9mbs up
Standard User jchannon
(learned) Fri 08-Jan-16 10:29:36
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

I could but I wouldn't want the equipment in the lounge where the master socket is located frown
Standard User keith969
(member) Fri 08-Jan-16 10:32:36
Print Post

I had a similar problem, no power near the master socket. Had not one but 3 OR engineers out (!) to put a cable from the master to near a power socket - had to up and round a door. Not ideal but it was the only solution.

BT Infinity 2, 43mbs down 9mbs up
Standard User jchannon
(learned) Fri 08-Jan-16 10:37:37
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

Yeah I think thats the other option, instead of using the trunking extension inside the walls it will have to (using a data extension cable BT have) go along the wall, and through the wall to the hallway
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Jan-16 11:33:13
Print Post

If this was communicated when you ordered the provider should have added a 'data extension kit' to the install, to ensure engineer arrives with bits to do that job.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchannon
(learned) Fri 08-Jan-16 11:46:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah I better check with the provider.

Ideally I'd like to get them to convert the extension socket to a master socket but not sure if that's possible.

Wondering if I should get someone local in to convert it to a master socket before the engineer arrives??
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 08-Jan-16 11:49:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchannon:
Ah I better check with the provider.

Ideally I'd like to get them to convert the extension socket to a master socket but not sure if that's possible.

Wondering if I should get someone local in to convert it to a master socket before the engineer arrives??

You cannot do that. No one apart from authorised BT staff or subcontractors can alter the wring before a master socket. No ifs, no buts ... it cannot be done and anyone initiating it or undertaking it is opening themselves up to prosecution.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to