General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Jan-16 09:59:41
Print Post

Swinging Max Attainable after Line "Fixed"

[link to this post]

I had an HR fault for about a year. It finally culminated in one of the legs disconnecting, prompting OR to actual find and repair the fault. (Lost dial tone)

The engineer that responded seemed very thorough, and fixed the issue with the one leg, and also identified and fixed a fault on the other as well. He was down a couple of man holes to do this, and had to get another guy to help him who had kit to lift "heavy lids".

Now, the phone is working fine, but my previously solid 80Mb max attainable, now swings between 66Mb and 80Mb. A difference of 14Mb!

There doesn't appear to be any correlation with time or weather. DLM has me profiled at 66Mb, and the SNRM swings between 3db and 9db.

Any clue what could have happened. Is it worth reporting it to my ISP?

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Jan-16 10:10:46
Print Post

Re: Swinging Max Attainable after Line "Fixed"

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Nothing will happen if you report it

Noise is a variable feast and might just be cross talk from lines that are sometimes busy sometimes not.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Jan-16 11:41:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What is likely to have changed, given that the line was simply repaired, to increase noise or crosstalk?

I had already taken a beating from crosstalk that reduced the max attainable significantly from install.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Skilty
(member) Fri 08-Jan-16 12:16:24
Print Post

The more uptake of fibre on your cab the worse it can get but crosstalk is unpredictable. You might be affected but your neighbour may not. Equally did they repair the existing pair or simply switch you to another pair from the cab. It could be your old pair was unaffected but the new pair is (if that is what they did).

The "Impacted" values provided by the BT checker now give the worst case scenario, could always check your number to see what BT is quoting for "Clean High/Low" and "Impacted High/Low".

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Jan-16 12:53:23
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

He said he repaired the existing legs.

I can't imagine that crosstalk can change that much (and back again) in 24 hours. The modems are usually left turned on.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Jan-16 19:22:04
Print Post

Does the "swing" happen gradually over time, or just switch from 3dB to 9dB, and back later?

If it happens suddenly, it seems likely to be someone turning their modem on and off.
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Jan-16 19:31:50
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

It's gradual, 9,8,7,6,5db etc. over a number of hours.

I can't find any correlation with time, weather etc. Nor can I imagine how any repair could have caused such a weird result.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 10-Jan-16 10:15:42
Print Post

it can be a number of reasons.

1 - they may have swapped the pair, and just told you they repaired it, for end user its usually same thing. The new pair may have dodgy sporadic crosstalk.
2 - the repair work may have somehow caused this new behaviour.

I think as voice is now working and BT will see 66mbit as a healthy sync speed you will have a tough time getting this resolved, unless it gets very unstable.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
  Print Thread

Jump to