General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ceepan
(member) Fri 08-Jan-16 17:47:23
Print Post

Does router need to be plugged into the master socket?

[link to this post]

I am waiting for my FTTC service to go live. At no point when I ordered from Sky was O told anything about where the router should be plugged in. I have seen a few other posts on this forum suggesting that the router should be plugged into the master socket. Is this required?

My house (built 2.5 years ago) has the master socket in the cupboard under the stairs with no power sockets located in there. There are 6 other telephone sockets in the house. I have my router plugged into one of these (via a micro filter) in a bedroom and the base station for the DECT phones plugged in (via a micro filter) in the kitchen.

If the fibre goes live with the setup as is, will it work?

Thanks,
Paul
Standard User troublegum
(regular) Fri 08-Jan-16 18:29:48
Print Post

Re: Does router need to be plugged into the master socket?

[re: ceepan] [link to this post]

It doesn't have to be in the master socket, but Ideally it should be as you will get the best speed there. You will generally lose speed at the extensions.

However, if you're on a 40/10 package and close enough to the cabinet, you may well get the full 40/10 on the extension sockets anyway.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Jan-16 18:42:10
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

Well it really depends on what referring to an the extension socket.

If its a data extension then you will probably not notice much decrease in speed due to the phones would of already been filtered from the line, but if its a phone extension then you will possibly see a speed decrease due to the length will also include any other phone extensions in the house.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 08-Jan-16 18:45:34
Print Post

Use the master for best performance.

Also, you may well have problems with your set-up depending on how everything is wired - daisy chain or star and also the internal cable used by the builders!

If you have a star wired house, one option would be to convert on on the extension to a "data" socket by taking just an unfiltered pair from the master to it and have all others on the filtered side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Fri 08-Jan-16 18:46:12
Print Post

In the vast majority of cases, it is not necessary to use the master socket but with some important provisos.

The first thing to note is that if you do use the master socket, it will only give the best possible speed if, and only if, any extensions are filtered. If there is even one unfiltered extension, then performance at the master socket can often be worse than at an extension socket. The easiest way of filtering extension sockets is to use an interstitial plate.

However, if you want your modem to be at an extension socket then you will see only very minor loss of speed providing you doe the following :-

Run one, and only one unfiltered extension and plug your modem in their. Make sure you use twisted pair cable for the unfiltered extension. Use either cat5/6 ethernet cable or (rather more compact) CW1308 specification twisted pair cable. Make sure that the two signal wires are on the same pair. All other extensions must be filtered (and, again, use an OR interstitial plate).

There are plenty of extension kits available for this.

My setup is like this with a 10m extension and I lose less than 1% of the available speed. Note that if I plug into the master socket with this extension still connected I lose about 35% of speed (due to signals being reflected off the unterminated extension - something called a "bridged tap" to which VDSL is very susceptible.
  Print Thread

Jump to