General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nightglow
(regular) Sat 09-Jan-16 09:26:48
Print Post

New NTE5c Faceplate

[link to this post]

New NTE5c Faceplate coming, thought there was a thread about it on this forum, but a search finds nothing.

https://thecomputerperson.wordpress.com/2015/12/23/n...

https://thecomputerperson.wordpress.com/2015/12/23/n...
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jan-16 13:30:14
Print Post

Re: New NTE5c Faceplate

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

Presumably the cam locks and the 'Tool Less removal' are 'elf and safety - to stop BT engineers stabbing themselves with screwdrivers during an install.

For a good connection I would guess that IDC may still offer lower resistance as this cuts through any oxidation on the surface of the wires. It's possible though that the cam lock connection has a greater surface of contact which helps lower resistance.

I can't see any reason for anyone to change from earlier NTE5 models to the latest though,. I'm sure it won't improve broadband performance.

I still have a 1955 vintage BT20/4 junction box where the external line comes in and that doesn't seem to affect my broadband performance.

Looking at the pictures, a new VDSL2 interstitial filter plate will have to be designed to match this. I wonder how this will work as the house wiring is no longer connected to the removable section.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Sat 09-Jan-16 13:33:16)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Jan-16 13:37:38
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

My presumption without having one to rip apart is that the tool less is a bit like this gigabit connectors, have a couple of the RJ45 version and the jaws cut just like IDC

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jan-16 13:53:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's possible.

A bit more poking around seems to suggest that the new faceplate is to be used for a new 'SOGEA' service - Single Order Generic Ethernet Access. There is a new SOGEA frontplate designed to use with the NTE5c.

http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/sins/pdf/STIN517v1p0.pdf

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Edited by caffn8me (Sat 09-Jan-16 13:59:10)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 09-Jan-16 13:55:52
Print Post

I take it this is the new telephone socket?
https://thecomputerperson.files.wordpress.com/2015/0...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 09-Jan-16 13:57:08
Print Post

You have to remove the full stop at the end of the link
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jan-16 13:58:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That's the one. No need to upgrade my socket for improved aesthetics - it's hidden in my server cupboard smile

Sarah

--

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jan-16 13:59:32
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Done.

Sarah

--

Standard User Pendlemac
(learned) Sat 09-Jan-16 13:59:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
Looking at the pictures, a new VDSL2 interstitial filter plate will have to be designed to match this. I wonder how this will work as the house wiring is no longer connected to the removable section.

If the internal wiring is not connected to faceplate how do you disconnect it to do test-socket only testing?

Just spotted something else.

The red ( network ) termination is not visible in the image. Therefore it must be inside the main box. Access to which seems to be by undoing two screws. Hardly toolless!

Demon Internet > O2 Broadband > BT Unlimited ADSL
Connection speed (U/D) [kbps/kbps]: 1024 / 18268
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 09-Jan-16 14:01:29
Print Post

Ooo this bit's interesting
As part of the SOGEA trial Openreach may conduct experiments into the long term effects of the presence and absence of wetting current on SOGEA circuits SOGEA faceplates may contain a wetting current sink, that is triggered by an A-B voltage above the normal PSTN line voltage.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to