General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User APH999
(newbie) Sat 09-Jan-16 14:22:41
Print Post

FTTC Availability Checker

[link to this post]

Does anyone have any knowledge of how the FTTC availability checker works, more specifically what details it takes into account? A few months ago a new FTTC cabinet appeared in our village. A while after, it was possible for our postcodes to order fibre. A few near neighbours managed to order it and one at least has a 38 Mb/s link. There are 7 active connections in the cabinet (source: OpenReach engineer working at the cabinet). However since I have been looking (month or so) it has not been possible to order it. Furthermore if those people who actually have it were to try to order it now, they couldnít. So it looks very much like the checker is having problems. One possible reason is the checker no longer knows about the new cabinet, another might be that the checker takes into account existing connection speeds? I mention the 2nd option as at least 2 of the existing users have had problems (suspicion they were/are connected to the old father away cabinet) causing their data rates to be about half what would be expected. It might also be that another of the connections is running at about 5 Mb/s due to them actually being too far away. I havenít been able to verify the last point, but the evidence points that way. As there are so few connections, if existing connection rate was taken into account, it could have a significant effect. My ISP is trying to take this up with BT, but no success so far.
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-16 14:57:32
Print Post

Re: FTTC Availability Checker

[re: APH999] [link to this post]

What exchange and cabinet- for the houses connected if you enter their telephone number or address if their with sky/tt into the BT wholesaled adsl checker it will show what cab they are connected to.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User APH999
(newbie) Sat 09-Jan-16 15:12:15
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

The exchange is Hermitage, the cabinet is P12.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-16 17:27:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by APH999:
The exchange is Hermitage, the cabinet is P12.
Can you give us a postcode that is on that cabinet?

Paul
Standard User APH999
(newbie) Sat 09-Jan-16 18:11:32
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

RG18 9EG

But all addresses show as no FTTC at the moment
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-16 18:19:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by APH999:
RG18 9EG

But all addresses show as no FTTC at the moment
That postcode is too far from the cabinet.

The BT Openreach Where and when page is telling me a status of reachissue which is saying you are too far from the cabinet to be offered fibre.

Paul
Standard User APH999
(newbie) Sat 09-Jan-16 18:36:13
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I'm about .4 mile away at maximum. A neighbour that is the same distance gets 38mb, so I really don't believe that. This is a relatively new (1990) estate all cabled at the same time and we are a large part of the catchment for the new cabinet. Also an Openreach engineer working on the cabinet put my number into a laptop device (should of questioned him more on this) and said I should be able to get FTTC. I'm 99.9% certain there is a problem with the data used to feed their checker, just trying to understand more what it could be to fight my corner!

Thanks all for taking the time to read

Andy
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Jan-16 19:13:22
Print Post

Nos. 27-31 are on Cabinet 2 and can get it with estimates as high as 33.6Mbps. They also show 5.5Mbps for ADSL2+, (as do the previous two or three). All the others are on Cabinet 12 and show no availability, with ADSL2+ estimates ranging from 3Mbps to 5Mbps. But the pattern is very strange in the higher numbers, possibly suggesting some are on VM cable or LLU so insufficient data.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 09-Jan-16 19:18:13)

Standard User APH999
(newbie) Sat 09-Jan-16 19:56:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So Cab 2 is closer to a mile away at the far end of the village. This was the our local cabinet until autumn last year. I assume most of the estate still remain connected there - the engineer said there were only 7 connections to the new cab 12. One neighbour who migrated had slow FTTC speed until they discovered he was still connected to Cab 2 instead of Cab 12, he has now been correctly connected and has good speed. Another had good speed initally, but now has approx halved speed, suggesting they have subsequently miss connected him! He is still trying to get this sorted, (No 26). I'm No 19 with good ADSL2+ (7Mbs ). I have noticed no recent connection speed change, so assume I am still connected to Cab 2. We are all within .4 mile of the new Cab12. Hope this makes sense.

Edited by APH999 (Sat 09-Jan-16 19:57:26)

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Jan-16 07:58:06
Print Post

Ok, did some checks on the Openreach Where and when page.

If you are number 19 then your on cabinet then this is your information:

[Address]
Address: 19, Kiln Drive, Curridge, Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 9EG
Upgrade Stage: 8 of 8 (8 meaning live)
Lat: 51.4467127
Lng: -1.2963929000000007

[Exchange]
Exchange Name: Hermitage
Exchange Code: THHRJ
Lat: 51.4590721
Lng: -1.2647200

[Cabinet]
Number: 12

[Result]
Speeds: None
Type: FTTC

And for number 27:

[Address]
Address: 27, Kiln Drive, Curridge, Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 9EG
Upgrade Stage: 8 of 8 (8 meaning live)
Lat: 51.4467127
Lng: -1.2963929000000007

[Exchange]
Exchange Name: Hermitage
Exchange Code: THHRJ
Lat: 51.4590721
Lng: -1.2647200

[Cabinet]
Number: 2

[Result]
Speeds: 6.89 (Up), 26.2 (Down)
Type: FTTC

The information for both addresses above are the exact information that BT Openreach say on there Where and when page, granted I have cleaned it up a little to make it more easy to read.

Number 26 is also on cabinet 12 and cannot get fibre either.

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to