General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User L0giX
(regular) Sun 10-Jan-16 19:08:18
Print Post

Predicted speed range from stats

[link to this post]

Hello all
I know i cant get exact speed predictions for fibre from adsl stats but i'm just wondering what to roughly expect so here's the info on my line/exchange..

Exchange is NSULL and it's due to get fibre in the next couple of months.

Every house in our village is EO lines and i believe they will be installing cabinets near the exchange..

My line must be about 1200m to the exchange and probably 800m to where i believe they will be putting the cabinet (well i seen them doing a lot of work there but no cabinet installed yet)

At the moment the max adsl we get here is 8mb and my vigor 130 modem has the following stats:

Down speed 8128000
Up speed 448000
SNR Margin 15
Loop Att. 17

No matter what router i have had over the last 10 years i have always synced at the full 8mb.
The lines in my village are very good i believe...

Any rough estimates on what sort of speed i may achieve maybe if its close to your own stats while on adsl before going onto fibre.?

Thanks
Standard User Spetznaz
(experienced) Sun 10-Jan-16 19:34:32
Print Post

Re: Predicted speed range from stats

[re: L0giX] [link to this post]

At 800M (cable distance from the cabinet) then about 30-45Mbit, if you're line is really good 50Mbit. I don't actually have FTTC yet but have done a lot of Googling and know what to expect (roughly), my line is not far from the 800M, maybe a bit less so hoping to get 55Mbit if I'm lucky when its installed next week.

Edited by Spetznaz (Sun 10-Jan-16 19:35:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Jan-16 20:00:58
Print Post

The only relevant bit is that cab is going near exchange and you say you are around 800m to the cabinet, which means 24 to 36 Mbps probably - you will get estimates from the checkers once the cabinets go live.

Be aware that in some areas not all EO lines are done at the same time, some areas see multiple EO cabinets installed and this may go live in stages

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User L0giX
(regular) Sun 10-Jan-16 20:19:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks
Work is due to be completed by march, It's part of the highlands and islands digital Scotland funding to get rural parts of Scotland online.
I wish they went the same router Cornwall did and done FTTP lol.
The speed you estimate Mr Saffron is the same as all the charts found on various broadband sites but from reading forums i see a lot of people in reality seem to get faster than these graphs, Fingers crossed!

Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 10-Jan-16 21:03:41
Print Post

Probably because they are largely based on the same source, i.e. what I've been saying for 5 years or so.

I usually give a worst case outlook so you are more likely to be pleasantly surprised rather than mad

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to