General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ciday
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-16 14:43:01
Print Post

Odd Speed Test Issue

[link to this post]

I've noticed recently a bit of an odd issue with the TBB speed test on my FTTC connection. The most recent results are here. Basically the TBB protocol results vary wildly from the HTTPx6 results. This is in comparison to a past test here where although slower, the gulf was not as wide and it was more consistent. I am using a set of homeplug adapters (Solwise NET-PL-500AV-PIGGY) so do you think they might be failing or being subjected to interference from somewhere which is causing this?

P.S. I should point out I've not noticed any major issues actually using the connection but concerned that the results may be a sign of future problems so I would like to get to the bottom of this issue anyway.

Edited by ciday (Mon 11-Jan-16 14:44:22)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Jan-16 16:43:15
Print Post

Re: Odd Speed Test Issue

[re: ciday] [link to this post]

It may be evidence of traffic management, as tbbx1 download is over a port often traffic shapped (deliberate choice by us). Or it could just be congestion and there are hints of this with the shape of the httpx6 which is six file downloads at once. It is possible the HomePlugs are part of the bottle neck, so worth moving PC to try direct into router at some point.

You can test the congestion theory with these tests

http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/?site=omega...
(Will download a single file over HTTP)

http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/
(Will download the same file, but six at once)

On a good connection the two should be pretty much the same, so once the tests have run post the share links you get from one of the buttons at the end.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ciday
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-16 17:12:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Nope. Still pretty dire. I'll test it later directly from the modem when I can. But with the current set up the results are as follows.

Single Thread
x6

EDIT:
I've tested the connection by plugging a laptop via ethernet cable directly into the VDSL modem (A Huawei HG612 3B unlocked) with everything else removed. Turns out the homeplug adapters may be to blame. Either that or the mains wiring in my home.
Single Thread Test Direct
x6 Test Direct

I reconnected the home plug and using the wifi on the same laptop got these results:
Single Thread via Homeplug
x6 via Homeplug

My question now is why does the single thread test get impacted so badly by the homeplugs? I did check to make sure the QoS on the router and the homplugs are off. Could it be a technical fault with the homeplugs themselves?

Edited by ciday (Mon 11-Jan-16 18:04:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Jan-16 18:40:46
Print Post

Should not normally be, but there may be some errors and by doing more downloads at once we manage to get more speed across the link in that time.

Most Home Plugs come with diagnostic software that lets you look at connection speeds and thus determine if they may be the issue.

At least it looks like any issues with the ISP are ruled out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ciday
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-16 18:58:33
Print Post

I've had a look at the diag software. It seems to think the link between the home plugs is fine with a speed of about 170Mbps. My friend who actually runs the ISP I use (A small business reseller) seems to think a sag in incoming voltage might cause issues with some homeplugs. However I do not have a multimeter to test that.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Jan-16 19:19:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by ciday:
Nope. Still pretty dire. I'll test it later directly from the modem when I can. But with the current set up the results are as follows.
I reconnected the home plug and using the wifi on the same laptop
My question now is why does the single thread test get impacted so badly by the homeplugs? I did check to make sure the QoS on the router and the homplugs are off. Could it be a technical fault with the homeplugs themselves?
Speed testing using wifi is always suspect. Try that laptop with an Ethernet connection into the same Homeplug as you think you were connecting to with wifi.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 11-Jan-16 19:21:03)

Standard User ciday
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-16 21:14:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Looks like there may be a WiFi issue. But I can't discount the homeplugs entirely as there is some issues with the speed. Still confused as even on WiFi my speeds were consistent and rock solid until recently.

Ethernet
WiFi
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Jan-16 21:22:58
Print Post

It could be the wifi in the Homeplug.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Mon 11-Jan-16 21:55:01
Print Post

ciday/Mr Saffron - sorry to hijack but I tried the tests you linked to for the single file and the six at once. The single file gives me about 9mbps down and the same up. The six files test gives me 37.5mbps down and 9.2mbps up. I am on Sky fibre 40/10. The six files test gives me the results I would expect. The single file test is fine on the upload but way down on the download. Why is this? Thanks.

BT Infinity 2 - Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 42Mbps down/4.5Mbps up...crazy Left BT as they were poor...
Now with Sky Fibre - 37.5Mbps down, 9.5Mbps up
Standard User ciday
(newbie) Mon 11-Jan-16 23:35:16
Print Post

[re: giggsy1977] [link to this post]

The homeplugs as far as I'm aware do not have WiFi capability.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-500av-piggy.htm
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to