General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jchannon
(learned) Tue 12-Jan-16 16:23:56
Print Post

Data Extension Kit under carpet along grippers ok?

[link to this post]

Hi.

I'm confident that when the FTTC engineer comes we will need an extension cable as there is no power for the modem. The master socket is in the lounge but the modem will need to go in the hallway.

I imagine he will want to route the cable across the skirting over the door and through the solid breeze block.

Just for aesthetics will he be open to routing the cable under the carpet in-between the wall and carpet gripper, across the doorway and then through the wall?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 12-Jan-16 17:42:14
Print Post

Re: Data Extension Kit under carpet along grippers ok?

[re: jchannon] [link to this post]

A lot will depend on the person you get!

At one time BT staff were instructed NOT to drill through internal walls! I queried it when a friend had a cable running the length of the hall before turning through a door and then back the full length of a lounge wall - 10m of cable when 10cm would have sufficed!

Between gripper and wall is ideal - whether he will or not will again depend on who you get ... just be prepared to drill your own hole and feed the cable into place behind the gripper - I like that location as it is easy to access and will not be walked on or susceptible to damage and if you want to the box can be located just above the skirting and the cable running down behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Jan-16 17:49:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The question more comes down to the part that crosses the doorway, which is likely to be heavily used. It could also depend what type of carpet gripper.

If there is protection both sides, i.e. the gripper being old style with a wooden base and there being an edge gripper for the external carpet it may be OK. Otherwise I have my doubts.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jan-16 17:55:24
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

t one time BT staff were instructed NOT to drill through internal walls!

Not in my 19 years experience ......

Between gripper and wall is ideal

It absolutely isn't, the amount of internal faults I've seen due this practise .......

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Jan-16 22:22:34
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Between gripper and wall is ideal

It absolutely isn't, the amount of internal faults I've seen due this practise .......
Agreed, I think that space is where the carpet is pushed into, this would/could damage the actual cable.

This is why I preferred to install the cable under the floor out of the way.

Paul
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Wed 13-Jan-16 04:42:45
Print Post

Cable between floorboard and carpet is going to end up chafed eventually.

Problem is we live in a world of short termist bean counters - the fastest way to do the job is the way to go etc. More jobs complete per day and all that. Outsource it to Kellys.

Run it sub-floor where it is out of harm's way or visible along the skirting so no numpty puts a nail in it...

Can I sign up to be an Openreach bod?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jan-16 06:53:45
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

No ?!?! You clearly care about the work you do, and the bean counters won't stand for that wink

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jan-16 09:11:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

No ?!?! You clearly care about the work you do, and the bean counters won't stand for that wink
Well that's me out of the question then, sadly my downfall is that I am a perfectionist I care about the job I do, if the test spec says it needs to be 1.35 ± 0.125 I have to get it to exactly 1.350 LOL.
Also my hardware and software engineering skills is above Kelly's grade, as most other places, which is a shame, the only place that took me was a company that did work for the MOD, which is a shame because I love doing electrical engineering etc.

Also not having a driving license doesn't help things either tongue

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jan-16 09:17:59
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeeTee:
Run it sub-floor where it is out of harm's way or visible along the skirting so no numpty puts a nail in it...
You say that no numpty puts a nail in it, going back many years, when there was a video streaming service called Home Choice, don't recall to run or provided it, but it was great while they ran it.

Only after we left or they stopped the service I removed the data extension back to the master socket, and over several times those metal staples they used to tack down the cable had gone through the actual cable, and at one point broke a wire, obviously it wasn't the pair being used, so it does happen.

And that was done by 2 or 3 BT Engineers.

*** update ***
Just did a search for Homechoice and it was owned by Video Networks Limited (VNL), which ended up being Talk Talk TV LOL
So we got out when the going was good then LOL.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 13-Jan-16 09:23:00)

Print Thread

Jump to