General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User craski
(learned) Tue 12-Jan-16 20:12:02
Print Post

Can Huawei HG612 be power cycled remotely?

[link to this post]

I was given an ECI Openreach modem with my new Zen line. I often work remotely to the office/connection location using an ubiquiti link so not on site sitting beside the modem most of the time.

I didnt fit the ECI as I have a Billion 8800 NL and that lets me remotely log into it and monitor it using DSLStats.

Zen wont raise a fault with Openreach for congestion on the new line without the OR modem being fitted as they tell me Openreach will just blame my Billion. So yesterday I fitted the ECI and left the office. Tonight I have logged into the network at office via my ubiquiti link and found the internet connection is down but because the ECI modem doesnt have any sort of web GUI/interface on it, I cant log into it remotely in order to reboot it in an effort to revive the connection.

Does an unlocked Huawei HG612 provide means to reboot it via its GUI?
If it did, I could use it to satisfy Zen that an Openreach modem is fitted and still retain ability to remotely reboot it.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Jan-16 20:36:18
Print Post

Re: Can Huawei HG612 be power cycled remotely?

[re: craski] [link to this post]

If the Internet connection is down how do you actually get to the remote modem even if it has remote management, since with no internet access it is not accessible by you across the Internet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User craski
(learned) Tue 12-Jan-16 20:39:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have an ubiquiti wifi link between the remote office and my house so I can get into the network there.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 12-Jan-16 21:02:51
Print Post

There's a reboot button on the gui but I don't know if it works.

What about a Wemo plug?
Standard User craski
(learned) Tue 12-Jan-16 21:16:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
What about a Wemo plug?

Good call, that would probably work.
They are about £50 a pop though so I would be cheaper buying a Huawei HG612 if that lets me remotely manage it and get any added benefit from that modem matching the providing Huawei cabinet.

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Jan-16 21:40:36
Print Post

Well Pulse8 gave my HG612 a remote kick up the pants when I was 400 miles away and had a problem, so I would say the answer is a definite yes. Does not matter if your remote is up or down, so long as your ISP can access on the normal line.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jan-16 08:22:22
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Are you sure they gave the router a kick rather than the port at the exchange to force a reconnect?
Standard User craski
(learned) Wed 13-Jan-16 08:22:42
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Found an alternative to Wimo called Orbivo for £16.99 on Amazon prime that seem to be easy enough to control via networked PC with a little bit of persuasion so that looks like it will help. Another option at least.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jan-16 16:34:48
Print Post

If you're in a tinkering mood, a Raspberry Pi with an Energenie Pi-Mote or Mi|Home board can remotely control sockets via wireless.

I use this setup to turn things on and off remotely.

The Raspberry Pi could run a monitor program which would power cycle the router automatically in the event of a disconnection.

Of course, it's entirely possible that replacing the current modem with a new HG612 will stop lockups anyway.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User craski
(learned) Wed 13-Jan-16 18:25:01
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Thats pretty sweet, I like that. Thanks Sarah!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to