General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zebo
(newbie) Wed 13-Jan-16 11:00:35
Print Post

DSL checker, Low FTTC Range A (Clean) speed.

[link to this post]

Hey so after checking my line on dslchecker I found that my max speed is FTTC Range A (Clean) 33.2, I was going to upgrade to infinity 2 but I guess it would be pointless now if this is my max, this goes to a cabinet called cabinet 5. The street I used to live in which is 0.2 miles away from my door can get FTTC Range A (Clean) 80.2 and goes to cabinet 15. Why can't I get these speeds?

I would have thought we'd use the same cabinets but it doesn't seem this way and why is my cabinet so much slower?

Hope you can help.
Standard User zebo
(newbie) Wed 13-Jan-16 11:14:15
Print Post

Re: DSL checker, Low FTTC Range A (Clean) speed.

[re: zebo] [link to this post]

Also is the speed from the dslchecker as in FTTC Range A (Clean) 33.2 the max speed I can ever get with the cabinet im at? can I not get anymore if i went to infinity 2 for example.
Standard User lee111s
(member) Wed 13-Jan-16 11:26:56
Print Post

The reason is simply because your new house is further away from the cabinet you're now served by.

The cabinets have boundaries, in some cases next door neighbours are served by different cabinets. There has to be a cut off line somewhere.

In your case, there's no point at all in upgrading to Infinity 2.

That said, what can't you do with 33meg that you could do with 80?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zebo
(newbie) Wed 13-Jan-16 11:41:18
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Cheers for the reply and well having faster internet is always good isnt itsmile its a shame i can only get up to 33 then, at least ill save some money though
Standard User lee111s
(member) Wed 13-Jan-16 11:47:38
Print Post

Possibly, but for 90% of the population, anything more than 10meg is overkill in my opinion. Faster internet doesn't mean you can load pages or read them any quicker.

The only real benefit it has is if you have multiple devices all wanting to watch HD content at the same time, even then, on 33meg you could still use about 6 devices simultaneously smile Or if you want to constantly download massive files of data, but again, most people stream content these days as opposed to download it.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jan-16 11:59:16
Print Post

Or if you want BT Sport in Ultra High Def as that is only available if you can get 55Mb/s or above. And households may well be using UHD from other content providers such as Amazon, Netflix, Apple, etc - higher bandwidth needed.

Or it could just be you do large downloads/uploads for work or hobby. There are reasons for higher speeds and an increasing number of people will find them as speeds increase.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 13-Jan-16 12:00:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by lee111s:
Possibly, but for 90% of the population, anything more than 10meg is overkill in my opinion. Faster internet doesn't mean you can load pages or read them any quicker.
This is an outdated view now.

BT recommend at least 55Mb connection for their Ultra HD TV box delivering 4K channels.

Of course more bandwidth improves browsing speed with today's graphics-heavy websites.
Standard User lee111s
(member) Wed 13-Jan-16 12:07:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by lee111s:
This is an outdated view now.

BT recommend at least 55Mb connection for their Ultra HD TV box delivering 4K channels.

Of course more bandwidth improves browsing speed with today's graphics-heavy websites.

I'd still reckon less than 10% of the population have access to a 4K TV AND BT TV to get the Ultra HD sports channel.

The difference in speed of a webpage loading between 10meg and 30meg will be so minute that I doubt any human would be able to distinguish.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 13-Jan-16 12:14:43
Print Post

That depends on if its size is 10meg or 30meg
Standard User zebo
(newbie) Wed 13-Jan-16 12:20:07
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I do large downloads and wanted a higher speed, its annoying i cant get any higher than 33 mbps, theres numerous cabinets around me but I have no idea which is mine. I dont know why they bothere even advertising infinity 2 when if you live not much of a distance at all away the speed goes to [censored]
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to