General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sat 16-Jan-16 15:04:51
Print Post

Installing ducts

[link to this post]

The 100 pair cable feeding my village (Shackerstone) is currently a armoured cable buried in the grass verge for a distance of 0.75 miles to the ducts in the next village, Congerstone.

Shackerstone's lines are 1.5 miles in total from the cab, so too far for SFBB. Would BT/BDUK Extension project pay to lay new ducts for the 0.75 miles for the fibre, and provide a cab in Shackerstone, considering we already go through a cab 1.5 miles away that is being upgraded as we speak? Also does roadworks.org show roadworks on rural lanes or just B roads etc?
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Sat 16-Jan-16 15:23:42
Print Post

Re: Installing ducts

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

Who told you it's a 100 pair armoured cable? Very unusual for a 100 pair cable not to be in a duct. They've been ducting those since they first started replacing the overhead lines.
Standard User sidef
(newbie) Sat 16-Jan-16 16:44:36
Print Post

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

Similar situation to my village. 1.5 miles from an enabled cabinet, so too far for SFBB. Via BDUK we are getting a new cabinet in the village and copper rearrangement of the D sides to remove us from the existing cabinet. Current is 3x100 pair cables from the enabled PCP, one cable is a lead sheathed type for half its length. Not sure yet if we will get a brand new E side feed to the cabinet, but wiring within the village to the DPs will also need to be changed as new cabinet will be in centre of village and currently D sides all come from one end.

Only the first 400yds of duct from the existing cabinet was fitted with access chambers. I wasn't even sure it was ducted for rest of run as no chambers, but in the last few months 8 new access chambers have been built. Duct work was heavily blocked with silt. In one section 8 blockages, and the other 0.5 mile had 17!

Fibre microduct is now installed, fibre yet to be blown though. Cabinet location had also to be changed due to NIMBYs. It hasn't been confirmed yet if we are getting a PCP and FTTC or a onesie/combined.

The roadworks showed up on the web - eventhough the road is only a C (so minor) category one.

So your cable could be ducted, don't forget if its in verge, grass/vegetation may be covering the chamber lids - also an issue here. The records were also so poor, the contractors had to use a CAT cable scanner (no other services run down the road to the next village), paper plans and measuring wheel, to find the duct in the verge.

Edited by sidef (Sat 16-Jan-16 16:48:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sun 17-Jan-16 19:48:55
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Openreach engineer said it was. The cable enters the village and the first joint at the end of it is in a hole in the pavement outside my house. Their it is split into a smaller cable up the pole to the DP also outside my house, the the rest of the lines carry on now in ducts to the top end of the village where they now go all above ground to all the other DP's. I saw the cable myself was armoured when the electric board had the pavement up last year. Had a clear thick pvc coating, with steel armour around it in strands protecting the 100 pairs (200 wires) inside it, dissapearing into the hole in the pavement. The cable was buried in the 70's.
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sun 17-Jan-16 20:00:44
Print Post

[re: sidef] [link to this post]

So it does appear that BDUK do install a cab for villages too far away from a cab to get sfbb speeds! I hope that they do it for Villages in Leicestershire, but we only have approx 70 houses here! Literally we are at the end of the line, as the farm at the top end of the village is connected to Ibstock exchange, and cannot get any broadband at all as it is approx 4.5 miles from the exchange!

However BT says we are in a future sfbb postcode, but my postcode actually extends the 0.75 miles down the road to where sfbb speeds can be attained!
  Print Thread

Jump to