General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sat 16-Jan-16 23:16:59
Print Post

More Fibre Modem Routers

[link to this post]

Seeing as the ISP are pushing self install a lot atm, and the Openreach modem being phased out. Are we going to see more Fibre Modem Routers reach the consumer market now.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Jan-16 23:42:52
Print Post

Re: More Fibre Modem Routers

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

Market has a good range of vdsl2 kit already, and as volume of sales goes up price may come down more, apart from the absolute top end cutting edge wireless stuff

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ansam
(member) Sun 17-Jan-16 12:57:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello,

I honestly don't think thats quite true, most of the "decent" routers in my opinion don't have an integrated modem (a lot of Asus, Linksys, Netgear etc) and do require a modem. Exception to the rule are Draytek (I do like their stuff).

Thanks
Sam

Connection - TalkTalk Business 80/20. Sync 79997/19999kbps - My BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Jan-16 13:43:26
Print Post

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

I have tried FOUR combination VDSL modem routers and all rubbish compared to the OR modem combination. What is most worrying, is that only one was Openreach approved, so where does that leave the user with some ISPs refusing to pull out an engineer if not running approved gear?

Edited by professor973 (Sun 17-Jan-16 14:38:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 17-Jan-16 14:17:04
Print Post

[re: ansam] [link to this post]

Excluding of course units like Netgear D7800 a snip at £270, slower Wi-Fi versions available.

Then various TP-Link devices, the ASUS DSL-AC68U and others, don't think there is a Linksys unit on market yet.

I'm willing to bet 90% or more stay with what their ISP suppliers.

One reason the absolute best routers are stand alone Ethernet WAN devices, is because it can be better to have separate units for the absolute best performance sometimes as you can pick and mix what works best for you.

What is interesting is that just as with previous versions of broadband the global market is not much healthier than the UK for choice, which is surprising and not what you'd expect if many other countries had much faster connections.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Jan-16 14:34:10
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Combined modem routers aren't all bad. My own experience is that the Draytek 2760 and 2860 perform at least as well as the Openreach modem (HG612). The Cisco 887VA manages a higher line sync. The Draytek 2850 performs somewhat worse since G.INP was rolled out as it doesn't have compatible firmware.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Nightglow
(regular) Sun 17-Jan-16 15:30:44
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
Combined modem routers aren't all bad. My own experience is that the Draytek 2760 and 2860 perform at least as well as the Openreach modem (HG612). The Cisco 887VA manages a higher line sync. The Draytek 2850 performs somewhat worse since G.INP was rolled out as it doesn't have compatible firmware.

Got a Draytek 2760 sat here unused, still no compatible firmware available, pretty poor show by Draytek.
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Jan-16 16:30:13
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

The 2760s I manage work perfectly on Openreach provisioned FTTC (via Zen) and they worked straight out of the box. Firmware 3.8.1 supports G.INP although I'm running an earlier version.

I've been running three 2760s on different sites for several months without a single problem.

See screen grab, site 2, site 3

Note that the routers at sites 2 and 3 run a scheduled reboot each week in the early hours of Sunday morning which is why they have a lower uptime than the first.

Does yours have 1.x.x firmware? If so, that's a different hardware model and may have problems.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Sun 17-Jan-16 16:42:00)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jan-16 10:05:00
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

I'm running a Billion 8800AXL and that seems to be working just fine.

Not 100% certain how well it is supporting G.INP though.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 18-Jan-16 10:05:24)

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Tue 19-Jan-16 08:00:16
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The latest firmware for the 8800AXL definitely supports G.INP, I think the previous firmware did as well.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to