General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davida1992
(newbie) Sun 17-Jan-16 22:35:04
Print Post

Are we getting fibre??

[link to this post]

Hi all, I am new here so I hope I am posting in the right place!

Basically, we are pretty much in the middle of nowhere, there are mainly fields around us and there are about 6 houses down our street.

Since ADSL times we have only ever managed to get around 2Mbit down speed and it does get very annoying!

BT are starting to roll out fibre in the area, I am seeing new green cabs towards the towns and an increase in Openreach presence.

If I check the When and Where site it tells me that they are looking for alternative methods to get Fibre to us, and it has basically said that now for as long as I can remember, probably going on a year!

At the end of our driveway BT have installed some random looking device on a telegraph pole, it looks like a little black weirdly shaped box with a fibre cable coming out the bottom of it. The black fibre cables runs half way down the pole and is then tapes up in a reel as if they will be doing something with it in the near future.

It looks like this:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/news/6078-fttp-...

Can someone explain what it is for me and let me know if we will likley be getting fibre anytime soon? There isnt really a green cab near us for about a mile. From the top of the telegraph pole is the copper cable that has always ran to our house.

Thanks!
Standard User lee111s
(member) Sun 17-Jan-16 22:41:10
Print Post

Re: Are we getting fibre??

[re: davida1992] [link to this post]

It looks promising! The cabinet is irrelevant as it would appear you may be getting FTTP with fibre all the way into your home.

What's your postcode and I can take a look.
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Mon 18-Jan-16 01:32:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by davida1992:
Can someone explain what it is for me and let me know if we will likley be getting fibre anytime soon? There isnt really a green cab near us for about a mile. From the top of the telegraph pole is the copper cable that has always ran to our house.

From your description it looks as if you are down to get FTTP - currently offering download speeds of upto 330MB. Once its available and you order it, BT will effectively replace the copper wire with a fibre one.

If you put your telephone number in http://dslchecker.bt.com/ what does it say (including exchange name and cabinet number)?

However, FTTP roll outs take a very long time - much longer than installing fibre to the cabinet which most get - so it might take a while..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User davida1992
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-16 11:49:55
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Here are the details:
Telephone Number 01704823XXX on Exchange RUFFORD is served by Cabinet 6
Standard User indigobanana
(regular) Mon 18-Jan-16 12:01:57
Print Post

Good news it does look like FTTP is planned for properties connected to Cabinet 6.

With PlusNet on 20CN ADSL Max, I live in hope...

Fibre in Cumbria Exchange & Cab Map
Standard User davida1992
(newbie) Mon 18-Jan-16 12:57:44
Print Post

[re: indigobanana] [link to this post]

How did you find that out? Is it publicly available or do you just have access to see that stuff?
Standard User lee111s
(member) Mon 18-Jan-16 13:00:09
Print Post

Google "code look"
Standard User MacLe0d
(learned) Mon 18-Jan-16 13:36:00
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gt94sss2:
In reply to a post by davida1992:

From your description it looks as if you are down to get FTTP - currently offering download speeds of upto 330MB. Once its available and you order it, BT will effectively replace the copper wire with a fibre one.

If you put your telephone number in http://dslchecker.bt.com/ what does it say (including exchange name and cabinet number)?

However, FTTP roll outs take a very long time - much longer than installing fibre to the cabinet which most get - so it might take a while..

Too true about FTTP taking a long time to install,as I'm in the OP's position as well an area which is getting FTTP, it's frustrating being stuck on slow speeds but in the end the wait will be worth it I guess. It's just a shame that the when and where site is utterly useless when it comes to FTTP. How many people have checked it to be told your not getting fibre when they are actually getting FTTP sure FTTP might only be coming to 2% of places but how many people ha ve complaint to councils/MP's/BTOR etc.. about not getting fibre when those could have been avoided by simply when you put your number into check the site saying

Unforuntantly as your area is down to recieve FTTP we are unable to provide you with further information at this time.
  Print Thread

Jump to