General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Fri 22-Jan-16 18:59:30
Print Post

Fibre cab base layed, what are the tubes for?

[link to this post]

Fibre cab base has been layed, but it has 1 big grey tube coming up inside it, and 3 small black tubes. What are these all for?
Standard User lee111s
(member) Fri 22-Jan-16 19:52:28
Print Post

Re: Fibre cab base layed, what are the tubes for?

[re: 8skellerns] [link to this post]

Power, fibre in, copper in, copper out I'd presume.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 22-Jan-16 20:12:12
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

The big grey tube is the outlet for dropped packets.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(member) Fri 22-Jan-16 22:31:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

laugh
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Fri 22-Jan-16 22:36:05
Print Post

Facebook post & pics

Edited by 8skellerns (Fri 22-Jan-16 22:36:48)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 22-Jan-16 22:41:54
Print Post

1.5 miles from the cabinet isn't good news for FTTC I'm afraid.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Fri 22-Jan-16 23:27:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I know lol! Rediculous really as the exchange is 1.5 miles further up the road in the direction that I took the pic! You would think chopping my line in half would give me some speed boost!
Standard User 8skellerns
(experienced) Sat 23-Jan-16 15:39:09
Print Post

So one bug grey tube and 3 small black tubes coming up in the base. What goes in the black ones and what goes in the big grey one?
Standard User lee111s
(member) Sat 23-Jan-16 16:01:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by 8skellerns:
So one bug grey tube and 3 small black tubes coming up in the base. What goes in the black ones and what goes in the big grey one?

As I posted above.

I suspect the big tube will be for the power cable. And the other three for the copper and fibre cables.

Edited by lee111s (Sat 23-Jan-16 16:02:16)

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sat 23-Jan-16 16:46:10
Print Post

Given that the actual fibre line is blown through basically a small diameter black tube, I suggest that the latter's entry and possible exit to the next FTTC cover two of the small, black tubes, with the Mains Electricity Supply taking up the third small tube.

Also the fibre and mains are mainly employed at one end of "my" Huawei FTTC, it seems likely that they would be grouped together, at the DSLAM/Mains/Back-up Batteries end of the FTTC, generally apparently the left-hand side as viewed in the open doors.

------------------

The "bent-over" small tube with an apparently yellow stripe seems likely to be the end of a fibre conduit/duct, coming in to the FTCC, waiting for the actual fibre to be blown through it.

------------------

The much larger grey tube is probably for the multiple copper links to and from the associated, traditional PCP, from which the existing D-Side lines to the houses etc spread out.

-----------------

In the case of "my" FTTC, it can handle up to 288 Subscriber Connections, with two wires IN and two wires OUT

That is, 4 Wires times 288 Subscriber Connections, thus requiring 1152 wires, to pass between the FTTC and the PCP.

These are terminated on the back-plane with 288 sockets, in to which Filter Links are progressively plugged in batches.

In "my" FTTC when first activated, only the first 48 sockets had those Links plugged in, March 2014.

Another 48 were added in June 2015, as I spoke with the technician doing the work, taking about 5 minutes. He had about 20 FTTCs to do that day, so it appears to be the normal progression. I am not aware of any more being added since then.

---------

Taking the typical size/diameter of phone wires, the grey tube appears to be the only one capable of accomodating such quantities of wires.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to