General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User usenetz
(member) Sun 24-Jan-16 10:24:02
Print Post

Slow 'SuperFast' Fibre

[link to this post]

I have just done a postcode search at https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php?post... and see that the average speeds for my postcode are 24.6 Mbps download and 5.1 Mbps upload.

Given that those figures are average and assuming it includes non-fibre broadband then some users must be getting much faster speeds than me.

This jars with the speeds on my Sky Fibre broadband at this address which are consistently below 19 down and 2 up and I wondered what advice people here might offer me.

I have had Openreach check my line and they say the best speeds I could expect are 20Mbps d/l as I am about 900 m from the cabinet.

I live on an estate of over 50 houses with about 20 houses (off-estate) between me and the cabinet. There are another 150 houses just across the road from us and another 150 new houses being built just behind us and I live in High Wycombe with a population of about 130,000.

------------------
My ISPs since 1994:
Demon Dialup | Clara 512K | Be 13Mbps | Newnet 3Mbps | Sky 6Mbps | O2 7Mbps
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 24-Jan-16 10:37:38
Print Post

Re: Slow 'SuperFast' Fibre

[re: usenetz] [link to this post]

Paste your line stats here... Attenuation, SNR, sync speeds.

Check the distance to the cabinet by road - making a guess by following the poles to start with.

Ensure your home wiring is in good condition and there is nothing close to the line or modem that can cause interference.

And remember a postcode can cover a large area - and it may have one house on a long line from a cabinet and elsewhere another cabinet serving houses within tens of metres. It is quite possible to get speeds varying from a full 80Mbps down to unavailable in the same postcode.

As for your current speed of 19Mbps at 900m - potentially a little on the low side but not wildly out however that could be due to noise, wire gauge (diameter), route taken, modem type ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Sun 24-Jan-16 10:44:01)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 24-Jan-16 10:50:45
Print Post

If you live towards No 33, you are getting the estimated speeds according to http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User usenetz
(member) Sun 24-Jan-16 11:50:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks and yes according to that ADSLChecker I am getting the estimated speeds for my address.

Other houses on this estate are showing as higher available speed on that ADSLChecker than my premises, for example the house next to us shows as 30+Mbps while another around the corner (about 200m) gets 40+Mbps.

Weird!

Edited by usenetz (Sun 24-Jan-16 11:58:17)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 24-Jan-16 12:06:10
Print Post

Best advice - run a speed test which is further down the page and include your postcode, this will help to correct things or at least balance things out compared to the faster test someone has done.

The individual postcode results don't always have LOTS of results in them, and most recent is over 3 months old, so time for people to run them again.

Every speed test helps to add to the data set, there are some tests from one partner site not included in the local results yet, hope to add them soon which will boost the data set significantly too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sun 24-Jan-16 12:08:31
Print Post

I assume you've performed a test using the test socket (by unscrewing the faceplate, assuming you have a modern master socket). That will give you the best possible performance, and if there's no significant change it would eliminate any internal wiring issues that might be slowing down your connection. (If there is a significant difference, then there are things that can be done to improve things by addressing internal wiring).

Failing that, it might just be that you are paying an unfortunate price for living in one of the leafier, outlying parts of a town with houses spaced further apart. It means that line lengths might be longer than would otherwise be expected in a higher density estate, so that could explain the variation in speeds.

As to what might ultimately be done about it? Really it would take a major network topology change to get fibre closer to your house. Maybe OR's g.fast or, possibly, VM's cable extension programme, but that's probably a long way off as I suspect (given the lower housing density) it might not be a high commercial priority.

Note that any stats out of the router (like attentuation, SNR margin, sync rate) are very important in any diagnosis. Whilst line checkers will give an estimate, the modem stats give a much more accurate measurement of the state of the line.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 24-Jan-16 13:55:11
Print Post

Re what TheEulerID has just said, it occurred to me yesterday (but I didn't have time to post) to ask if yours was a self-install of the Sky Fibre, and whether you are using the master socket or an extension? (A free-standing extension lead plugged into the master counts as an extension).

ADSLx can be seriously affected by the house wiring, even when plugged into the master. VDSL2/FTTC far more so. Often with a very simple solution. The page needs updating for FTTC/VDSL2 but the principle is the similar, with the ideal fix being to obtain a BT Mk3 interstitial faceplate from somewhere and plug straight into that.

Also, if you have a Sky box or boxes, double-filtering those can be beneficial.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 24-Jan-16 13:56:01)

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 24-Jan-16 14:43:30
Print Post

Before carrying out the more extensive tests correctly mentioned by others, you should try the Quiet Line Test if available, dialling 17070, BT Option 2, SKY Option 4.

Preferably use a corded/older phone, first in to any available extension, then at the Master Socket.

Listen for at least 3 to 4 QLT Announcements, each test.

At most, there may be a very quiet hum, almost straining to hear it.

If you do not hear any untoward noises, "Snap, Crackle, Pop" or tones at the Master Socket, then basically the line is clear at that point; and you need to check your own wiring within the house.

If you do hear noises at the Master Socket, then you should report a PHONE LINE problem to your Phone Supplier, who may NOT be your BB ISP.

AVOID mentioning BB in any conversations.

The quality of the phone wiring, external and internal, is critical to BB performance, whether you use it for traditional phone calls or not.
Standard User usenetz
(member) Tue 26-Jan-16 11:25:54
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Many thanks to everyone who replied.

I have carried-out pretty much all the tests mentioned including using the engineers socket and had an Openreach technician who came out and tested the line.

It would appear my line is spurred off the original telephone line which served the existing house before this estate was built hence why some of my neighbours, just a few metres away, get twice my speed.

What I really need is a new line run via a different source/route but guess that would be impossible to convince Openreach to do.

I have cancelled my fibre and now use EE mobile broadband which gives me three times the download speed and five times the upload speed of my fibre connection.

I will stick with that for a few months and see how I get on.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 26-Jan-16 11:55:36
Print Post

That spurring is interesting, in that my house's electricity supply is spurred via the immediate neighbour's house, for no obvious reason.

And this seems to be standard with the majority of the houses in the estate.

Only found this out recently, although now been here for 48 years!

---------------

There is a similar; but worse situation on the water side.

Only two street cocks for a total of 77 houses, covering 11 acres (about 5 hectares?).

Have not been able to split; but superficially one cock appears to cover 50 houses.

----------------

When built in 1967 and 1968, it was a totally green-field site, no existing habitations, buildings etc to cause complications.

I think such information should be included in the House Deeds.

Edited by eckiedoo (Tue 26-Jan-16 11:56:23)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to