General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tpn
(newbie) Mon 25-Jan-16 20:12:04
Print Post

Lead time for ordering FTTP on a new line

[link to this post]

I'll soon be moving to a new build home that has FTTP - how long does it take an ISP to set up service on the line to get Internet access? Do I have to order a phone service first and wait for that?

I'll most likely be going with Zen (or possibly BT, depends if I get talked into taking the 330/30 service) if that makes a difference.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Mon 25-Jan-16 21:21:54
Print Post

Re: Lead time for ordering FTTP on a new line

[re: tpn] [link to this post]

I suspect that all depends upon whether the FTTP is installed already or not. I have FTTP installed and use FVA with no link back to the copper line. So if I move out I would expect the new occupants to be able to have phone and Internet installed over the fibre from the day that they moved in.

If FTTP is not installed then getting that set-up can take from days to months depending upon the local situation.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User alondoncyclist
(newbie) Mon 25-Jan-16 22:56:36
Print Post

We were in a similar situation just before Christmas: new build fttp. When we got the completion date we ordered BT infinity straight away. During the order process we got the message that an openreach fibre modem was already detected which seemed odd for a new build, but the developer confirmed all the equipment was pre-installed. So in our case it only took a few days to be up and running with no need for an engineer visit. Don't forget to order via topcashback and look out for the prepay credit card. We ended up with discounted infinity plus £190 mix of cash back and credit card.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tpn
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-16 19:20:50
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

I've been out to the house and the fibre modem is already present in the cupboard under the stairs and is showing a couple of green lights, so I guess things will be quick. Thanks all!
Standard User B31
(member) Tue 26-Jan-16 19:57:52
Print Post

[re: alondoncyclist] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alondoncyclist:
We were in a similar situation just before Christmas: new build fttp. When we got the completion date we ordered BT infinity straight away. During the order process we got the message that an openreach fibre modem was already detected which seemed odd for a new build, but the developer confirmed all the equipment was pre-installed. So in our case it only took a few days to be up and running with no need for an engineer visit. Don't forget to order via topcashback and look out for the prepay credit card. We ended up with discounted infinity plus £190 mix of cash back and credit card.

I wish my developer was that thoughtful...

BT ADSL customer getting 1.7 Mbps (0.6 Mbps up) on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User azwilson
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-16 20:13:49
Print Post

Just registered to chip in what happened to me, I moved into a new build with FTTP pre-installed last year (Modem with green light on), signed up on the BT website (Via Quidco!) and they quoted 3 weeks for an engineer to come visit/install, then called up and managed to get through to the FTTP team who activated it the next day!

I signed up for the 200/20 service but oddly have 240/30 connection.

To save you the trouble of all the hassle of getting someone who knows what FTTP is on the phone, call the FTTP sales team directly at 0800 587 4787

FYI the number is from a BT Community Guru post (https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/New-estate-openreach-say-they-have-installed-all-necessary-for/m-p/1114216#M120811), hopefully this doesn't break any rules!
Standard User Embraer
(member) Sat 06-Feb-16 10:18:50
Print Post

[re: azwilson] [link to this post]

Thanks for the number, have a feeling I'll be contacting them. New build estate has 8 currently occupied premises all on the same postcode PR4 2SA. BT Infinity checker for the postcode still only shows the 2 show homes with availability and we move in in 7 weeks, think I'll be doing quite a bit of liaising with the site rep and Openreach over the next 2 months to stand any chance of having functioning phone and broadband services

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2, snorting along at 35mb with BT Infinity
Standard User libf
(newbie) Mon 08-Feb-16 07:54:46
Print Post

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

I'm sure it's different on every site, but I should be moving into a new build in 2.5 weeks and the external works were meant to be done last week and the salesperson told me the internal works will be done about 2 days before I complete. I think that's the point at which it will start to show as being available.
Standard User Embraer
(member) Wed 17-Feb-16 22:03:23
Print Post

[re: libf] [link to this post]

Is that still the case or has it slipped

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2, snorting along at 35mb with BT Infinity
Standard User libf
(newbie) Thu 18-Feb-16 07:43:11
Print Post

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

My new address now shows on the BT broadband checker, but without a speed estimate, so I'm assuming that means the external work is done. I'll be going up to the development tomorrow for my 'home demo' so I intend to ask for an update about the internal works then.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to