General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(regular) Mon 25-Jan-16 23:15:03
Print Post

PoE VDSL2 Modem, Do they exist?

[link to this post]

I'm currently working through a bit of a network upgrade and would like to swap my ECI BTOR modem for something that can be powered via PoE (24v, preferably)

My setup will be as follows:

VDSL Modem (Bridged) -> Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X -> Ubiquiti ToughSwitch 8 port -> Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro access point(s)

As the switch supplies PoE on any ports, this will be used to power both the WiFi AP's and the router.

The router will pass through PoE at whatever voltage it is given (48/24v) so would be nice to have PoE powered modem also, as it would save running AC up to the window sill where the NTE is

I'd love it if Ubiquiti would make a VDSL modem as it would integrate nicely with my setup, but not holding my breath!

as a bit of a background, I am a technician for Caleycom.net , a WISP operating in Aberdeenshire and have a lot of experience and knowledge on the Ubiquiti platform, hence why as much of the kit is possible is from them
Standard User connormill
(regular) Mon 25-Jan-16 23:20:51
Print Post

Re: PoE VDSL2 Modem, Do they exist?

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

My other option was to get something like this: https://linitx.com/product/13305

To split the PoE+Data from the router into two cables and power something like a B-Focus or HG612. Has anyone got any experience running them on 24V. Cant imagine it working too well?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 25-Jan-16 23:49:50
Print Post

You either don't know or forgot that the OR modems aren't! They are modem/routers in bridged mode.

All you need is a true modem, if there is a VDSL2 one with PoE. Note VDSL is not what you want, whether a modem or a bridged modem/router.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User connormill
(member) Tue 26-Jan-16 00:15:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You either don't know or forgot that the OR modems aren't! They are modem/routers in bridged mode.

All you need is a true modem, if there is a VDSL2 one with PoE. Note VDSL is not what you want, whether a modem or a bridged modem/router.

I know that the OR modems aren't PoE comparable, I never claimed they were, I also never claimed they were anything more than a bridged modem

VDSL is not what I want? Fairly sure it is

I want a bridged VDSL modem, to connect to my ubiquiti router. But a modem that can be powered by 24v Passive PoE instead of a 12v wall jack
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 26-Jan-16 00:20:59
Print Post

That should work with a HG612 - just make sure you use the modem PSU as the source. You will, however, need to ensure the power plug and socket are correct size.

Why should you need to run te modem on 24v anyway?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User connormill
(member) Tue 26-Jan-16 00:29:38
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
That should work with a HG612 - just make sure you use the modem PSU as the source. You will, however, need to ensure the power plug and socket are correct size.

Why should you need to run te modem on 24v anyway?

Because the router is powered remotely from a switch, which outputs 24v or 48v Passive PoE.

Whichever voltage I choose to power the router at, is also the voltage it will spit out.

The PoE coming from the router will be 24v

There is no mains supply near the master socket

Power will be delivered as follows:

Mains into switch
24v from switch to router over Ethernet
24v from router to modem over Ethernet
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 26-Jan-16 00:39:27
Print Post

I thought I had explained clearly and politely. I know I did the second of those.

I also know I didn't suggest that the OR "modems" are PoE capable. By "aren't" I meant they are not modems.

What I also know is that a modem is a modem, and there is no such thing as a bridged modem. Bridging is when the router part of a modem-router is bypassed. The router is bridged over with the modem output going direct to an Ethernet socket instead of to the router component and from there to the built-in switch if present.

A plain modem if there is a suitable one is your ideal buy, as it will be cheaper and need less power than a modem-router that you put into bridged mode.

A VDSL modem or modem-router will not work on Openreach FTTC. It would be useless. Just like an ADSL modem or modem-router doesn't work on ADSL2+.

The FTTC service is VDSL2 between the cabinet and the premises.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 26-Jan-16 00:44:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 26-Jan-16 00:51:44
Print Post

Perhaps you'd better also check whatever you get complies with the Section 3 requirements of the Jan 16 SIN 498v7.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 26-Jan-16 01:06:24
Print Post

So, don't use the PoE option from the switch. Take a standard Ethernet output and use on of the device pairs you have linked to, install te HG612 PSU close to the switch and feed the power from that into the combiner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User tdw42
(learned) Tue 26-Jan-16 01:33:44
Print Post

The earlier generation Openreach modems can overheat with their standard 12v supplies, and I doubt the internal PSU would cope as it far exceeds its design specification.

If you can find a UK supplier the wifiqos / wifi-texas WS-POE-12v should do the job - it takes Ubiquiti/Mikrotik passive 24v PoE and provides 12v at upto 1A
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to