General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nstrudwick
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-16 12:24:45
Print Post

FTTC at 340m from cabinet

[link to this post]

Hello

This is a simple enquiry. I'm interested to find out what sync speeds users are getting about 340m from a cabinet, running the 80/20 fibre package please. I'm hard-wired to my router and am getting about 50mbs at the computer, which seems a little slow.

Thanks in advance, Nigel Strudwick
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Tue 26-Jan-16 12:32:21
Print Post

Re: FTTC at 340m from cabinet

[re: nstrudwick] [link to this post]

A lot depends on the quality of the cable. My line is 300m to the cab but there is a 120m section of aluminium cable with copper at either end and I'm currently syncing at 53 Mbps but if DLM intervenes, as it does now and again, it drops down to around 44 Mbps.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 26-Jan-16 12:34:29
Print Post

I'm 600 metres and connected at 60Mbps.
# xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 1
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 16319 Kbps, Downstream rate = 59812 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 15142 Kbps, Downstream rate = 59997 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 5.9 6.7
Attn(dB): 19.7 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 13.6 7.4
Are you with a BT Wholesale ISP, or Sky/TalkTalk/TalkTalk reseller? If BT Wholesale then run this test. (Ignore the red instructions for now except for not running anything else that is downl or uploading). Don't bother with the initial results page - click Further Diagnostics at the bottom of it. Then please copy and paste the full contents of the down and up text boxes of results.

Telling us your ISP may help.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 26-Jan-16 12:46:02
Print Post

400+ metres.

Currently syncing at around 76Mbps - due to a "noisy neighbour" and when their modem is off I can sync at a full 79999 with max achievable just above that.

You could have a very noisy line, fine gauge copper, aluminium, a very bad impedance mismatch, a bridge tap ... to name teh common ones.

What are your basic line stats? And if you have DSLstats installed, can you do a screen shot of the <Tones> tab?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-16 13:01:53
Print Post

I'm around the same distance (310-350m) as your and syncing at full 80/20 with attainable of around 115/30 (for now)

my old address was shorter line (200-250m) yet only capable of 57-60/20 and my neighbours was worse..

Seems to be a case of what quality your pair is, what it passes, how many joins... I'm still under the impression that a final length of my previous line was aluminium but the 2nd cabinet (underground) probably was also to blame.
Standard User bowdon
(member) Tue 26-Jan-16 13:19:09
Print Post

I'm at 825m according to CodeLook website and I'm syncing at 71 and connected speed at 71 (currently DLM is off).

It depends on the quality of line from the cabinet to the pole to your house, and also were you are connected inside the cabinet because of interference.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User lee111s
(member) Tue 26-Jan-16 13:24:04
Print Post

Are you 340m at the road goes or as the crow flies?

You actual line length may be considerably longer than the above due to the way it may be routed.
Standard User craski
(regular) Tue 26-Jan-16 13:27:12
Print Post

My line length is about the same at 350m and with the "correct" hardware, the line syncs at 80/20 with attainable at 90/30. With the ECI modem on, it syncs at about 70/20.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jan-16 13:36:26
Print Post

I had a line that was 375m, with an attenuation that showed it was likely to be standard 0.5mm copper.
That was actual line length, not as-the-crow-flies length.

Over 3 years, it went from a sync of 80/20 (with attainable of 90/25) to 78/20 ... The reduction likely to have been the gradual increase in crosstalk. When the line went faulty, it caused more errors, which triggered DLM intervention. That took speeds to 72/19 for a while.

I suspect that crosstalk could have taken speeds even lower - perhaps 60Mbps. At least lines on Huawei cabs are unlikely to suffer that speed drop from DLM intervention now, as G.INP provides a much better alternative.

My current line is only 100m away, but acts like 150m. I believe it uses 0.4mm copper.
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-16 13:42:50
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
I'm at 825m according to CodeLook website and I'm syncing at 71 and connected speed at 71 (currently DLM is off).

I'm sure you know this but Codelook is reporting the distance from the exchange not the cab
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to