General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-16 18:42:39
Print Post

DLM Reset

[link to this post]

If my attainable max rate increases after line issues, will DLM reset on its own, or would I only see it after a forced resync (reboot router)?

My line has finally settled down, but I don't want to tempt fate by restarting the router!

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 26-Jan-16 19:09:34
Print Post

Re: DLM Reset

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Is this a combined modem/router, or a router fed by an Openreach modem?

If there is an Openreach modem then the router is nothing to do with DLM.

In either case, "No".

You won't upset anything by restarting your modem or combo. In fact it's the only way speed will increase unless other things like the removal of interleaving if you have it happen.

In 99.9% of cases, do the restart during daylight hours for best sync. Middle of the night for greatest stability. At this time of year before 2pm in the day is best as noise increases as the sun starts lowering in the sky. From what you say, stability now is not an issue.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jan-16 06:29:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's combined (FritzBox).

Can DLM remotely cause a resync to raise speeds?

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 27-Jan-16 10:18:13
Print Post

Re: DLM Reset *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jan-16 12:27:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndyPandy:
Can DLM remotely cause a resync to raise speeds?

Can it? Yes.

Does it? No, not exactly.

DLM remotely triggers a resync because it has changed some error-protection settings, and wishes to apply those new settings.

The change in settings may cause an increase or decrease in speed - DLM doesn't care. It just wants to get the new settings into operation.

DLM doesn't monitor your line to see if a re-sync could raise speeds for you.

DLM only monitors your error rate. If there are too many, it alters settings in order to add more error protection, in an effort to reduce the errors. If there aren't many, and error protection is in place, it can alter the settings to reduce or remove the error protection.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 27-Jan-16 13:29:31
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Much better put than my post! I shall delete.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jan-16 21:58:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Never reboot VDSL Modem or otherwise DLM will trigger it. Best way turn off the modem for at least 30 minutes then turn back it on. In this way, it will not trigger any DLM.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 27-Jan-16 23:44:42
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Rubbish Max. I've restarted mine three times today with no ill effects. I'll confirm tomorrow whether or not DLM has reacted overnight, which is its normal time to do so.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User AndyPandy
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-16 08:19:42
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I understand the function of DLM. I've been synched for 14 days with 7 errored seconds.

I'd thought that at around the 9 day mark, DLM would start to consider removing the "error-protection settings" if it could see that there were acceptable errors on the line, and the SNRM available to do so.

Hence my curiosity as to why it hasn't responded. There was one issue on the line, which was resolved, so I don't think the time in which DLM would "reconsider" should have been extended, as happens with ongoing issues.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2
Fritz!Box 3390
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jan-16 09:55:49
Print Post

But you may not understand how the "error seconds" is arrived at, which seems to be a function of what a particular end user modem chooses to count. Additionally some report error seconds and some report error seconds and serious/severe error seconds.

What the DSLAM router is counting is another question.

If a single error in a second registered it as an error second, then the number of error seconds would be likely to equal the uptime.

What's special about nine days anyway?

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to