General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheHedgymon
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-16 19:49:06
Print Post

Query - pole

[link to this post]

Hi - I'm puzzled and hopefully someone can enlighten me!
I'm on the Boxford Exchange in Suffolk and have v. slow broadband speed (2M if I'm lucky). In July of 2015 we were told that we could now get fibre broadband, FTTP being the only option, so I ordered immediately.
I won't go into the details here but suffice to say that we've had a truely horrible customer experience since then and 7 months later still have no idea when BT/Openreach will deliver. So on to my query.
A duct runs from the main fibre loop past the end of our drive and in November last year we seemed to have some success. A man with a digger came, put a chamber into the ground over the duct at the end of the drive then dug up our driveway and put ducting from the new chamber all the way up to our house. We thought that now all that needed to be done was to run the fibre underground through the ducting to our house. However, we've been told that they can't do anything now until they put a new pole outside the house. We've been waiting 3 months for this to happen.

Has anyone got any idea what we need a pole for given that ducting runs underground all the way to our front door? Surely you either go underground or overground ? Any clues gratefully received

Thanks
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-16 20:21:50
Print Post

Re: Query - pole

[re: TheHedgymon] [link to this post]

I don't know, maybe for a new manifold
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-16 20:32:25
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

So this is where I show my ignorance. They definitely want to put a new manifold on the pole - they cancelled the last time because they had a pole but no manifold. But what (in layman's terms) is the manifold for apart from running fibre from the pole to my house? Or have I got the function of a manifold wrong?

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Jan-16 20:41:46
Print Post

The manifold provides a junction from a twelve tube BFT allowing for a single BFT be provided to be provided from the manifold the CSP which will be fitted on the property. This will then have the fibre blown through from the DP to the CSP ready for the final installation into the property.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-16 20:46:14
Print Post

The manifold is the last part of the network openreach pro-activley build before end users place an order . it's where the blown fibre tube from your property connects to. It maybe that an existing manifold is full or too distant to service your property.
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-16 20:54:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Um ....ok. But if they've already laid ducting underground all the way to within an inch of the front wall of my house, why do they need to run fibre from the manifold on the pole to my house. It's the fact that they have already got a grey pipe running up to my front door with blue pull rope running through it that makes me ask what the pole is for.

I know little or nothing about telecoms, so I'm clearly missing something?
Thanks
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-16 21:05:36
Print Post

Do you know where they are placing the pole?
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Tue 26-Jan-16 21:11:52
Print Post

What does the ducting right outside your drive connect to though? Anything?

If not the pole may be to connect it to the rest of the network. It's cheaper to run fibre overhead than to dig up the road. Say if the fibre is currently on the other side of the road, they may put a pole on your side of the road. The fibre then goes from the pole opposite to your pole, overhead. It could then run down the side of the pole on your side, into the underground jointbox and then up the duct in your drive.
(newbie) Tue 26-Jan-16 21:17:30
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Yup. They're putting it next to the new underground chamber at the end of my drive about 10m from my house. Btw, we're fairly rural and the only house in our postcode to have ordered FTTP, so this manifold is (currently anyway) purely for us

The only explanation I can think of is that they don't want the manifold underground for maintenance reasons, so are putting a pole up for somewhere to hang it on. I guess in that scenario the fibre would come above ground up the pole to the manifold before being split out and going underground again through the ducting to our house? Does that make sense?

Thanks
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jan-16 21:23:39
Print Post

Seems plausible
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to