General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User J_Walsh
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Jan-16 09:32:32
Print Post

New FTTC isp?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Currently with Plusnet on an 80mb fttc connection. Connections reliable and not really had any issues with them but fancy a change in ISP.

Any recommendations?

Regards

Jon

PlusNet Fttc
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 29-Jan-16 09:55:25
Print Post

Re: New FTTC isp?

[re: J_Walsh] [link to this post]

If you aren't having any issues, surely you risk having some if you change ISP?

Having said that, is your line rental also with Plusnet, and would you be happy with it being LLU phone? Do you even use the landline phone much?

How much do you download per month, roughly? Are you looking for 80/20, 40/10 or 40/2? Even perhaps the new 55/10? Though I don't know if any ISPs are offering that yet.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User J_Walsh
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Jan-16 09:34:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

We don't download a massive amount a month, think we normally average around 50 gb of usage.
Phone line hardly gets used just had to be taken to have the fibre.
Would be looking at 80 / 20, although i cant really fault plusnet service has always been good other than the odd slow webpages when surfing.

Maybe i should just stay put.

Thanks again

PlusNet Fttc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keith969
(member) Sat 30-Jan-16 09:54:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by J_Walsh:
Hi all,

Currently with Plusnet on an 80mb fttc connection. Connections reliable and not really had any issues with them but fancy a change in ISP.

Any recommendations?

Regards

Jon

IMHO if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it...

BT Infinity 2, 43mbs down 9mbs up
Standard User craski
(regular) Sat 30-Jan-16 10:28:29
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

I agree.

These and other forums are full of people having issues with their broadband and the amount of time wasted, effort spent and frustration it can cause to get the fault acknowledged and fixed is no fun.

If you are receiving a service you are happy with, why change?
If it is to save one or two pounds a month, ask yourself how much is your own time worth.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User lee111s
(member) Sat 30-Jan-16 11:21:49
Print Post

If you only download about 50gb a month I'd say your a pretty light user. As a result, any reason you want 80/20? I'd imaging 40/10 would be more than suitable, it's cheaper too!

Slow web pages are often nothing at all to do with your internet connection.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 30-Jan-16 12:28:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by J_Walsh:
We don't download a massive amount a month, think we normally average around 50 gb of usage.
Phone line hardly gets used just had to be taken to have the fibre.
You didn't have to take Plusnet phone line to get fibre, but they would have charged a setup fee and £2.50pm more.

What you could do if you wish to save money is switch your phone to Pulse8broadband, which is what I did for a while when on Plusnet. Make sure you click the Home tab on that page as I expect it will open on the Business one.

I pay £13 line rental plus £1 for caller display. Calls are dirt cheap at 1ppm with no call setup charge, and per-second billing. 0.8ppm in off-peak.

Plusnet will increase your monthly charge by £2.50 but that is more than offset by the saving. Particularly if you are paying for a Plusnet call plan. Or even if not, as your few phone calls will come to a few pence per month. They may start you on another 18-month term, but I don't think so.

As has been suggested you could also drop down to 40/2 fibre to save money. That upstream may be a drag if you upload a lot of photographs or backups. It is almost certain that would start a new 18 months

I chose to go to AAISP Home::1 80/20, ending up on a total of approximately what I used to pay when on Plusnet 80/20 + BT line. No problems so far, but I didn't have many on Plusnet. I was just worried about the apparent degrading of the support service and how that might affect me if I had one with them.

I could easily manage on the AAISP Home::1 on 40/10 which is £35pm for 100GB. Six month minimum term. Phone still with Pulse8.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Galoka
(regular) Sat 30-Jan-16 18:44:21
Print Post

Are you up for taking advantage of promotions/cashback? The big ISP's always seem to be throwing cash around trying to get new customers

I was with Plusnet 80/20 service. It had been fine (thpough glad I never tried to ring support) , but switched to BT about 3 months ago. Because with the promotions on offer I could effectively get free Infinity 2 for a year. £190 Quidco cashback, and £100 Sainsburys voucher pretty much cancels out the £25/month (£300 pa) costs (line rental as well of course paid up front with LRS).

BT have also been fine.

I got a good cashback when I moved to Plusnet and I will probably be looking for another deal once the 12 month contract ends

Edited by Galoka (Sat 30-Jan-16 18:45:23)

Print Thread

Jump to