General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User niddnet
(newbie) Wed 03-Feb-16 14:37:26
Print Post

FTTP - Available in "Some" Areas

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Regular lurker, first time poster (like so many!) Go gentle on me, it's my first time smile

Pretty familiar with the tech, and finding out of stuff, but when it comes to what's actually available where, I get a bit stuck.

I'm ok with my exchange and cab - I'm quite happy to see what Sam Knows too - but I only find that FTTP is enabled in "some areas" in my exchange.

I'd really like to know WHICH areas off my exchange have FTTP provision... is this possible?

In case any of you have the know-how, it's MYOAT and cabinet 5 (which actually still has "GPO" stamped on it... no FTTC here!)

Currently I'm on VM - but would happily dump them for something better.

The area served by MYOAT is generally pretty affluent (apart from me lol) though the demographic is probably older than would really make use of the benefits.

WIth thanks to all for any potential help.

R>
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 03-Feb-16 14:41:21
Print Post

Re: FTTP - Available in "Some" Areas

[re: niddnet] [link to this post]

What does the BT checker say?

Copy the full output into a post, just xxxxxx out your number.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Feb-16 15:21:00
Print Post

You might have to wait to get fibre due to you being in an area covered by Superfast Cable (i.e. Virgin Media).

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MacLe0d
(learned) Wed 03-Feb-16 15:23:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Try putting your number into here

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

Find your cabinet and see if it's enabled and it'll give you an idea of what may be coming. If the BT checker doesn't return anything. The BT checker is ok if your cabinet is enabled or part of the commercial rollout programme not so good if you fall under BDUK.

If you are served by overhead cables you may be able to spot if you can get FTTP
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Feb-16 16:10:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by niddnet:
I'd really like to know WHICH areas off my exchange have FTTP provision... is this possible?

In case any of you have the know-how, it's MYOAT and cabinet 5 (which actually still has "GPO" stamped on it... no FTTC here!)

Samknows often claims that there is "some FTTP" available at exchanges - even if there isn't (mine for instance)

However, in the case of Oatlands, the Codelook website confirms that some exchange only lines are slated for FTTP (near HG2 8BE /Gladstone Street) - I presume very close to the exchange.. but no timeline for when.

You need to ask BDUK NY about plans to enable your own cabinet - I think their url is http://www.superfastnorthyorkshire.com/home

Edited by gt94sss2 (Wed 03-Feb-16 16:17:09)

Standard User niddnet
(newbie) Wed 03-Feb-16 16:20:17
Print Post

[re: MacLe0d] [link to this post]

I like that Code Look site - that's a new one on me.

Turns out FTTP is "planned" at the main exchange... and a few of the cabs are FTTC.

The BT checker (forgot to mention I'd already been there) tells me I'm on cabinet 5 of MYOAT (I say I am - I borrowed a friend's number to test, with permission! - my VM number wouldn't help much) - it also tells me that there's a wonderful choice of ASDL or ADSL2+ and that's it.

Was just interested to find out which areas served by the exchange are actually FTTP/H enabled... answer from what I can see - NONE!

Bah.

I'm not actually far from the exchange (couple of hundred metres, crow-flying distance) but that doesn't necessarily mean anything these days, I guess.

Definitely no OH fibre on the poles in my vicinity either. Think it's a non-starter...

I repeat: Bah.

Oh well - thanks for everyone's help - if there's anything else anyone can dig up or think of for me to look at to get more info, I'd be very happy.

Cheers!
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Wed 03-Feb-16 16:50:59
Print Post

The site in interesting, but for my exchange some of the data is not current. For my line for example it states that FTTP is planned. However, I have had FTTP installed and working for about 6 months so deployment is further on from planned.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User EddyTheDog
(regular) Wed 03-Feb-16 17:09:28
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

Same thing here. Codelook says "FTTP planned" and Samknows says not available. Yet i'm posting this on an FTTP connection using BT Infinity. Go figure lol
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Wed 03-Feb-16 17:16:53
Print Post

[re: EddyTheDog] [link to this post]

The BT checker is no better. If I check my phone number there it states "There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided". But the line has been BT for all of the 17 years that I have lived here and still is.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User sor
(newbie) Wed 03-Feb-16 18:11:55
Print Post

BT are remarkably random with their FTTP rollout IMO.

I live in Cornwall, which comprises most of Openreach's FTTP rollout nationally.

You can be in the middle of nowhere or in a town centre and get FTTP (even if the existing copper network is not exchange only). You could also be relegated to poor speeds due to being on a long FTTC line. Your neighbours across the road, or around the corner could get FTTP while you can't. I know of people who are on FTTC cabinets that serve a handful of lines, and I've seen FTTP on poles that have no properties nearby.

The BT Wholesale checker is usually fairly good at telling you what's what. The BT Retail checker works too, if you can get FTTP it'll tell you about Infinity 3/4 (200 and 300Mbit I think)

Edited by sor (Wed 03-Feb-16 18:12:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to