General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sidcrighton
(newbie) Mon 08-Feb-16 15:33:46
Print Post

Finding cabinet info for unbundled lines (e.g. TalkTalk)

[link to this post]

BT's line checker at dslchecker.bt.com does a great job of telling you via which roadside cabinet your phone line is routed - as long as your line isn't unbundled. I'm trying to find out the cabinet number for a TalkTalk line, as BT's checker has no information for this particular phone number. I've trawled the TalkTalk website, and spoken to their tech support line, but they can't tell me this info. As the infrastructure surely still "belongs" to Openreach at some level, does anyone know how I can go about finding out the cabinet number for this line?
The exchange is Chipping Sodbury (SSCSY) in South Gloucestershire.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 08-Feb-16 15:46:42
Print Post

Re: Finding cabinet info for unbundled lines (e.g. TalkTalk)

[re: sidcrighton] [link to this post]

Use the address checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres...
Standard User sidcrighton
(newbie) Mon 08-Feb-16 23:39:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Well, blown me down, I never knew that was there. The info that it's produced has confirmed my assumptions about the routing of the line - so thanks very much!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Feb-16 02:03:11
Print Post

[re: sidcrighton] [link to this post]

A useful tip about that address lookup. If you just enter a postcode on that page and submit it, it gives you a drop down list of all addresses in that postcode. Often you find more than one cabinet.

Never use the pure postcode option. That is very unreliable.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Feb-16 08:29:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Weirdly when using both phone number search and full address search i get slightly different eetimated speeds. Dunno why that is?
Standard User lee111s
(member) Tue 09-Feb-16 09:31:28
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

They're just an estimate.

Telephone line is more accurate as Openreach systems will be able to test the actual line to get its length and characteristics to come up with a more accurate estimated speed whereas address will be based on far less facts about the actual physical line to the property.
  Print Thread

Jump to