General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ellastonepaul
(newbie) Wed 10-Feb-16 00:07:21
Print Post

New FTTC cabinet ISP access

[link to this post]

Openreach/BT (aka Carillion Telent) have installed new fibre to Stanton and built Ellastone Cabinet P2. Staffs Superfast (funding project) has announced it as "live".

1. What does "live" exactly mean?

2. Should those of us on a standard BT Broadband package immediately see any automatic speed increase (recent download 1.5mps max!)...or do we have to pay extra to BT?!

3. Although going thro BTOpenreach cabinet do the different ISPs have any control over speed provided to consumer.

4. I understand that the fibre to cabinet speed is 80mps, but what should you expect if only 50 ft from cabinet?

5. Slightly seperate but Ellastone P3 has now been installed for 3 months but we are told it is "awaiting electricity connection". Is that a typical delay....or just an excuse for something else?!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Feb-16 00:27:45
Print Post

Re: New FTTC cabinet ISP access

[re: Ellastonepaul] [link to this post]

1. Live should mean available to order from a range of providers

2. As the faster products cost more the upgrades are NOT automatic and so you have to decide which package you want and which ISP, generally two variants up to 38 Mbps and up to 76 Mbps

3. Providers have a choice of three products 40/2 (down/up), 40/10 and 80/20. Once you allow for overheads due to comms protocols you arrive at the up to 38 Mbps and up to 76 Mbps of the adverts. The key controlling factor is physics, ie. distance to the cabinet

4. If 50 feet then you'd expect the full up to 76 Mbps connection, when ordering you should be given a speed estimate/range you are likely to get.

5. Yes getting power to the electronics can be a real reason for a delay

Edited by MrSaffron (Wed 10-Feb-16 10:09:23)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Feb-16 00:40:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
2. As the faster products cost more the upgrades are NOT automatic and so you have to decide which package you want and which ISP, generally two variants up to 38 Mbps and up to 76 Mbps

Amended it to say what I'm sure you intended smile

Edited by gt94sss2 (Wed 10-Feb-16 00:42:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Feb-16 00:41:57
Print Post

Shouldn't number 2 be "upgrades are not automatic" as in they do not automatically get Fibre without ordering a fibre product.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Feb-16 00:43:00
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

Ah, you beat me to it tongue

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Feb-16 10:10:05
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

That is what I intended, was late is my only excuse

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Feb-16 11:18:29
Print Post

[re: Ellastonepaul] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ellastonepaul:
2. Should those of us on a standard BT Broadband package immediately see any automatic speed increase (recent download 1.5mps max!)...or do we have to pay extra to BT?!

Others have answered this, but the important thing to remember is that the installation of the cabinet changes nothing about your broadband connection, it still uses the same copper wire back to the exchange as it did before and the same ADSL protocol. You need to upgrade in order for it to make use of the new fibre connection between the cabinet and the exchange and to use the new, faster, VDSL protocol.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 64500/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Wed 10-Feb-16 11:19:17)

Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Wed 10-Feb-16 11:44:51
Print Post

There is actually a 4th speed package which ISPs have been able to order from 16th January, and that's 55/10, although I haven't heard of any retail packages that use it as yet. I'm expecting an ISP to upgrade their 40/10 package to that speed, but we'll see.
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Feb-16 16:50:33
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

BT Wholesale have said they plan to offer the 55/10 option to their ISPs from March/April..
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Feb-16 16:51:11
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to