General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nightglow
(regular) Wed 10-Feb-16 13:32:28
Print Post

Modem Location

[link to this post]

Having a new roof, so got scaffolding up, thought it a good idea to finally sort out my network properly as I will have good access to attic.
Currently have a EMP Centauri multiswitch providing satellite feeds to most rooms in the house, was thinking about relocating it to the attic, along with a ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A modem do you need to keep it seperate from the multiswitch to prevent interference, or can they live together on same shelf or in comm cabinet.
As to the router it might be located in stairwell below for better wireless reception in rest of house.

Only other concern is the heat in the summer, & whether it will be a problem, might have to rethink my idea.

Edited by Nightglow (Wed 10-Feb-16 14:10:10)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-Feb-16 14:26:04
Print Post

Re: Modem Location

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

Where is the phone master socket? The ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A is a modem/router, as I think you mentioned elsewhere, so why bridge it?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Nightglow
(regular) Wed 10-Feb-16 14:51:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Forgot to mention master socket.

What I'm going is to reroute it, by running exterior Cat5e up outside wall to the attic & fit faceplate there, or from there it's a simple job to drop down to stairwell, which is high, so everything can then sit on a shelf or in comms cabinet out of the way.
At present master socket is in dinning room, & from that I run seperate socket for modem also in same room, as is router.

Have a ASUS RT-N66U, wireless on it is superb, so I wish to keep this in the setup.
But, I'm going to include a 16 or more likely 24 way gigabit switch in the setup, due to number of number printers & other bits we have here , only one printer is wireless, everything else needs a network connection:-(.
Did consider Home plugs, but just too many things to connect, would be expensive to buy them all.

Edited by Nightglow (Wed 10-Feb-16 15:11:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-Feb-16 15:09:24
Print Post

Are you meaning to move the master, or run the CAT5 from the A/B connectors on the VDSL2 filter plate? (Assuming one is fitted).

Is the modem on the Zyxel better than an HG612?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 10-Feb-16 15:10:13)

Standard User Nightglow
(member) Wed 10-Feb-16 15:14:59
Print Post

Sorry didn't make myself clear, the Mk3 face plate will stay in dinning room, from that will run seperate Cat 5e cable from the A/B connection to attic.

As to which is better Zyxel or HG612 I don't know yet,as I just won the Zyxel off Ebay.

But, I needed to replace my HG612 as it's held together with grip fill & tape, & Zyxel were cheaper than a HG612 on Ebay.

Edited by Nightglow (Wed 10-Feb-16 15:20:32)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-Feb-16 15:26:52
Print Post

Should be fine, but as you say raises the heat question.

Did you see my edit re the HG612? That would be the only reason for buying a Zyxel as the rest of its capabilities would be redundant.

In either case you would need a second Ethernet connection, between the router and a LAN port on the modem if you want access to the stats and so on. They aren't available via the WAN link of the router.

Edit: On further thought, I think the two remaining ports on the Zyxel will be available on the LAN, and possibly the wireless network.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 10-Feb-16 17:42:16)

Standard User Nightglow
(member) Wed 10-Feb-16 15:49:39
Print Post

Might have dropped a clanger then, may have misread this article.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bri...
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Wed 10-Feb-16 17:01:58
Print Post

If you are using twisted pair wiring on the xDSL feed, interference will be negligible.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-Feb-16 17:37:30
Print Post

That's a bit confusing, as one minute it says you need two connections, which is what I just said, and immediately afterwards goes on about .... No. I see what it's saying now. It's possibly me that was confused.

The only difference from setting up an unlocked HG612 for telnet/GUI access is that the two ports on that already seem to be separated in the firmware, in just the way the kitz article describes you have to do on the Zyxel. The diagram is showing LAN 1 is now acting as the WAN Ethernet output, and LAN 4, (or Lan 2 or 3, they've just chosen 4 to separate the two for clarity), goes to a LAN port on your router to give you the telnet stats and Zyxel.

What that means is that the other two LAN ports will also be available on your network if there is anything you need to access through them. With the HG612 only having the one spare port then of course that is used up in the same way as LAN4 in the diagram.

I'm not sure how clear that is, but expect you'll follow it smile.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 10-Feb-16 17:52:30
Print Post

Three comments.

You can get two pair Cat5e - a lot thinner as well as being easier to route and hide.

Consider where it will run ... will it pass close to bundles of mains wiring? Will it go close to a boiler, pump, freezer or other electrical items?

My modem, routers, switch and other devices live in a small attic space - it does get warm in there maybe over 30 degrees on a very hot day. I do have a small 50mm fan running and pushing warm air out through a pipe - just a gentle flow. No problems with it over te past few years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to