General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Feb-16 19:26:54
Print Post

FTTP for Cuckoo Oak

[link to this post]

I have notice that my telephone exchange used to have the followings stat:

ADSL
ADSL2+
FTTC
FTTPoD
LLU Sky
LLU TalkTalk

And now it changed to this (added of FTTP):

ADSL
ADSL2+
FTTC
FTTPoD
FTTP
LLU Sky
LLU TalkTalk

Exciting time as I think Cuckoo Oak is getting FTTP enabled and hopefully FTTP will be on the BT Wholesale Availability Checker soon.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Feb-16 19:31:48
Print Post

Re: FTTP for Cuckoo Oak

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

FTTP if rolled out is done to individual areas, it does not suddenly become available to everyone, the simple physical need to install the fibre to each premise is the issue.

So what you need to find out is if whether project for Telford is planning any FTTP roll-out on that exchange. My money is that this is just a misnomer on whatever site you've got that list from.

Some exchanges that see FTTP have it just available to 1 postcode.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Feb-16 19:43:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Locality: Cuckoo Oak, Telford, Shropshire All Post Codes All 26 Fibre Cabinets
District: Telford and Wrekin
20CN IPStream: ADSL
21CN WBC: ADSL2+ Fibre: FTTC/P & FOD 17th April 2013
BT Exchange: Cuckoo Oak Exchange Code: WNCKO

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Feb-16 19:52:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Exciting time as I think Cuckoo Oak is getting FTTP enabled and hopefully FTTP will be on the BT Wholesale Availability Checker soon.

Cuckoo Oak exchange was already FTTP enabled, that's why FTTPoD was there, however none of the properties served by it had FTTP, someone needed to order FTTPoD.

Going by that none of the cabinets on Cuckoo Oak are down for FTTP I'd say that it's either a mistake, someone has ordered FTTPoD, or one of the cabinets that doesn't have anything right now is getting FTTP as part of the Telford and Wrekin BDUK SEP programme and it hasn't hit the planning yet.

Sorry to say that it doesn't mean you're getting FTTP delivered to your FTTC enabled cabinet, or at very least not to your property. If it's going to any existing cabinets it'll be right on the edges where speeds are sub-24Mb or sub-30Mb as part of the above SEP programme.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Wed 10-Feb-16 19:54:17)

(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Feb-16 20:25:16
Print Post

Your FTTC comes from Telford Wellington.

Telford Wellington serves:

Cuckoo Oak FTTC
Dawley FTTC/P
Donnington FTTC
Great Bolas FTTC
Great Chatwell FTTC
Hollinswood FTTC
Newport, Shropshire FTTC
Norton, Shropshire FTTC
Oakengates FTTC
Shifnal FTTC
Stirchley FTTC
Telford Wellington FTTC
Weston under Lizard FTTC

The above is also what each exchange has. Only Dawley has FTTP built or being planned.

All exchanges that are currently having cabinets planned or built under the Telford and Wrekin SEP, bar Oakengates and Stirchley, are showing as 'FTTC/P'. or 'FTTC or FTTP'. Looks like a database glitch or it indicates that the SEP will include FTTP at the edges of the FTTC builds to ensure people get >24Mb. This is becoming increasingly common.

Those who already have FTTC at >24Mb or access to Virgin Media may not be covered by FTTP under the SEP programme and without a lot of money being provided BT aren't going to overbuild their own FTTC a year after it going live with FTTP commercially.

Sorry dude, hope this explains.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Wed 10-Feb-16 20:28:22)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Feb-16 20:40:28
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Many thanks. Oh well, best way to wait for FTTC G.Fast instead of FTTP. I think Openreach will rolled out G.Fast in Summer 2017.

Edited by adslmax (Wed 10-Feb-16 20:40:48)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Feb-16 21:01:53
Print Post

And that tells us? That FTTP as been available to someone since April 2013?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Feb-16 08:53:15
Print Post

There may be some FTTP for specific DPs on one cab, that's all
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Feb-16 09:46:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Many thanks. Oh well, best way to wait for FTTC G.Fast instead of FTTP. I think Openreach will rolled out G.Fast in Summer 2017.

That's what they've announced but obviously it'll be a very slow process initially, and will become quicker as time goes on.

You are likely to see G.fast before I do even though, or perhaps partly because, I'm in a high uptake FTTC area. You can benefit from G.fast from your cabinet, I can't.

We'll see how they plan things. Certainly don't expect it in 2017 though.

Print Thread

Jump to