General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sidcrighton
(newbie) Thu 11-Feb-16 20:55:26
Print Post

Green cabinet numbering - what does a "/" mean?

[link to this post]

Since the advent of FTTC, it seems that Openreach have been painting white numbers on the sides of many (copper) PCPs. In my area, these all seem to agree with the cabinet numbers that you get from dslchecker.bt.com - all good so far. But one cabinet near me has the number "8/1" painted on it. All lines that I've checked in the area belong to cabinet "8", so what could the "../1" mean? The village is very long and so is it conceivable that there's an "8/2" cabinet somewhere? The village is Hillesley in South Gloucestershire, on Wotton-under-Edge exchange (SSWUE).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Feb-16 21:27:17
Print Post

Re: Green cabinet numbering - what does a "/" mean?

[re: sidcrighton] [link to this post]

The / usually refers to sub cabinets, sometimes nothing happens to them and the parent cab gets the fibre twin, and in some cases depending on distance and project aims it might get its own fibre twin

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-16 00:28:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah, thanks. So rather than there being an "8/2" somewhere, there's more likely to be an "8" as that would be the master cabinet (if that's the right word)?
BTW, was it ever established that there is a definitive 'leaked' list of cabinet locations somewhere, or is that just urban legend?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Feb-16 06:37:00
Print Post

The main cabinets are called the primary connection point (PCP), those marked 8/1 ,8/2 , are secondary connection points (SCP).
Never heard or seen of a cabinet location database outside of BT.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Fri 12-Feb-16 07:03:41
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Maybe he's referring to that old "leaked" list with postcode > PCP details database, that came in two parts?

If so, then you might be able to find it - we all had a good look at it. But it's waaaaay out of date, now (2012?), so pretty useless compared with the regular advertised checkers and CodeLook. With a (relatively) complex situation where you have master and slave cabinets, you're better off asking here for specifics; or flagging up a problem if you think there is one.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Fri 12-Feb-16 07:09:10)

(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-16 13:55:23
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the info, gents. One last question on this: I found the "8" PCP cabinet today, so there's at least 8 and 8/1 coming out of the exchange in that direction. I appreciate OR's commercial sensitivities about what and where they choose upgrade to FTTC, but if they do give 8 a fibre twin, and decide that 8/1 shouldn't have one, does the way the tie-lines work permit 8/1 customers to get a VDSL signal driven from the 8 cabinet?
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Feb-16 14:15:40
Print Post

Being connected via an SCP should not in itself be an issue
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Fri 12-Feb-16 17:55:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've never seen an SCP get its own fibre twin and still remain an SCP. I've seen them change to a PCP just before getting a fibre twin.

In reply to a post by sidcrighton:
Thanks for all the info, gents. One last question on this: I found the "8" PCP cabinet today, so there's at least 8 and 8/1 coming out of the exchange in that direction. I appreciate OR's commercial sensitivities about what and where they choose upgrade to FTTC, but if they do give 8 a fibre twin, and decide that 8/1 shouldn't have one, does the way the tie-lines work permit 8/1 customers to get a VDSL signal driven from the 8 cabinet?

Yes, on the Openreach routing your line will be listed as coming from PCP 8. When FTTC goes live (assuming you are not too far from PCP 8) you will be able to order service, just the same as anyone else on PCP 8. To the FTTC ordering system it's irrelevant that your line also passes through SCP 8/1.

Edited by Icaras (Fri 12-Feb-16 17:59:40)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Feb-16 19:01:06
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Correct only issue that comes into play is distance of copper line from premise to the fibre twin

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 69bertie
(learned) Fri 12-Feb-16 19:02:24
Print Post

We were a cabinet that had 2/1 on it - being fed out of the nearest village, which still has cabinet No. 2. Since fibre arrived, It now has the number 3 on it, with the 2/1 painted over. So never assume your cabinet will stay numbered the same.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to