General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andy67
(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-16 11:15:10
Print Post

expected speed?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I just got FTTC. Not sure what kind of speed to expect though. I'm about 300m from the cabinet, on the Plusnet 38/2 package.

I'm seeing Down Rate=35641Kbps, Up Rate=1999Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.2dB, Up=25.1dB from the router log

Before ordering, the BT and Plusnet sites were saying potential of 73-80Mb down, so I'm kind of surprised I'm not maxxing out at 38/2 ? Any thoughts as to whether I can request an investigation ?

SMROW exchange, cab 13.

Regards Andy
Standard User lee111s
(member) Fri 12-Feb-16 11:18:23
Print Post

Re: expected speed?

[re: andy67] [link to this post]

Are you currently connected to the test socket? Or is the router on an extension?
Standard User andy67
(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-16 11:21:02
Print Post

No test socket.

I've only got an elderly LJU master socket. Hub One router plugged into that with Plusnet supplied microfilter.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 12-Feb-16 11:22:25
Print Post

I see you're on a Huawei cabinet. Your speed should max out when G.INP is turned on, as long as your modem supports G.INP.
What modem are you using?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Feb-16 11:32:04
Print Post

Are there any extension sockets wired in even if not used? Possible in what we call "star-wired" fashion where they are split off before the master?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User andy67
(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-16 11:43:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

yes, there's an unused extension wired off the master.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Feb-16 11:55:49
Print Post

Are there two sets of wires on the back of the master? If so, gently remove any that are connected to T3, preferably without cutting them.

Be careful not to disturb any on T2 or T5 at the moment.

If only one set, then still detach T3 if present.

See what happens then.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Feb-16 11:56:36
Print Post

Even if unused that would possibly explain the difference in speed, i.e. the extension works as an antenna picking up noise

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User andy67
(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-16 20:07:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks, yes, two cables - one in, and one out to the extension. I've disconnected the T3 wire, and seen a small improvement.

Now showing;
Down Rate=36166Kbps, Up Rate=1999Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.3dB, Up=21.7dB.

Still surprised it's not 37999 or similar down? I guess I've got more noise than typical somewhere...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Feb-16 20:19:11
Print Post

Next step would be to remove the extension completely, but only do so if confident or certain its not needed for a phone

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to