General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Feb-16 09:02:33
Print Post

Why does Bt checker page take so long to update?

[link to this post]

When I was looking to upgrade to fibre when my cab went live almost a year ago, the BT checker was giving me results that seemed a bit slow for my house which is only about 280m from cab. The results were always:

- FTTC Range A (Clean) 55.1 35 14 8.3 -- Available
- FTTC Range B (Impacted) 46.8 27.4 13.8 6.1 -- Available

I've had an email this morning notifying me that the estimates have changed and are now:

+ FTTC Range A (Clean) 67 50.8 18.5 12.4 -- Available
+ FTTC Range B (Impacted) 48.2 25.3 14 6 -- Available

I sync slightly high than that (69Mbps) down and slightly lower than that (17Mbps) up but it's pretty accurate.

I was just wondering why it took almost a year for BT to update their speed estimates? Surely it's an automated thing?

-------------------------------------------
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
Speedtest
My BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Feb-16 09:33:30
Print Post

Re: Why does Bt checker page take so long to update?

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

Who sends such emails?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Feb-16 09:35:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I should have made that clear - sorry. It was an automated email from followthatpage.com
I forgot that I'd signed up to it when I was waiting for my cab to be enabled for fibre!

-------------------------------------------
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
Speedtest
My BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Feb-16 09:41:22
Print Post

Have you checked on the BTOR Where and when page, the speeds are embedded into the returned data if you know where and how to get into that information, unless they have recently removed it.

Or you can PM me your Postcode and door number and I will check.

Paul
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Feb-16 11:12:04
Print Post

Looks like Openreach have updated the figures for lots of lines - mine have changed overnight as well.

And the estimated speeds have increased which is not what I would have expected when checking with my telephone number.
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Wed 17-Feb-16 14:05:11
Print Post

Mine has updated twice (significantly) in the last 6 months (from when FTTC became live).
The initial estimates for me with 1-2 people on the cab were pretty much near the max. I got a decent BT engineer install and the best he could get was about 50/10 from my line. A month or so later the checker updated to pretty much show my exact line stats as estimates for "clean" (this also means I couldn't really flag it as a fault though Zen agreed to charge me the 40/10 product instead). Interestingly about a month ago the checker for my number has jumped back up to near max estimates. I suppose this means I could start a investigation process, but I'm happy enough as is. Presumably this was the database updating as more people came online on the cab.
Standard User Nightglow
(member) Wed 17-Feb-16 14:25:05
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gt94sss2:
Looks like Openreach have updated the figures for lots of lines - mine have changed overnight as well.

And the estimated speeds have increased which is not what I would have expected when checking with my telephone number.

Same here,estimated DL speeds has increased by 4Mb, UL 1Mb.
Standard User Storm_Force
(member) Wed 17-Feb-16 21:46:01
Print Post

[re: Nightglow] [link to this post]

Initially last year went mine went live it estimated around 47mb it then changed to 27mb and like you guys it is now gone up to 31mb
(which is about right as I coonect around 30mb.
  Print Thread

Jump to