General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MilesPortent
(newbie) Sun 21-Feb-16 19:59:12
Print Post

Is this FTTP in-progress or something else?

[link to this post]

Our village (Lamberhurst - Exchange is NDLAM) finally got up and running with FTTC late last year (Only 1 of the village's 2 cabinets was given a daughter).

Codelook has suggested FTTP is on the cards for those on the non-FTTC cabinet (2) but I'm not sure where that's gotten that info (I take it with a pinch of salt as the map shows cabinet 2 in an incorrect location, actually in another village rather than just up the hill from the exchange).

The superfast-openreach.co.uk checker comes back with the "Exploring Solutions" result on my number and I've checked a number of other postcodes/addresses that are on cabinet 2.

Recently, roadworks.org has shown some BT/BDUK stuff going on, and what appears to be fibre cable has started appearing coiled up on a few telegraph poles in the area. I've taken a few pics (apologies for quality, the light was bad and I had an unruly toddler pulling me along!).

Telegraph Pole
Close-up

Does anyone with any experience know if this is a positive sign that FTTP or a variant is eventually coming or perhaps just that it's some other infrastructure stuff happening?
Standard User leexgx
(committed) Sun 21-Feb-16 20:01:19
Print Post

Re: Is this FTTP in-progress or something else?

[re: MilesPortent] [link to this post]

maybe, as it looks like it has the fiber pot thing at the top of the pole

Standard User MacLe0d
(learned) Sun 21-Feb-16 20:15:29
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

It looks like what has been happening in my neck of the woods, though I did manage to read the wrting on the cable and it said something like FTTP brown.

Unfotunatly the BTOR when and where side is useless when it comes to FTTP, it doesn't even tell you something like

Good News we are working to bring FTTP to you area however at this time we are unable to provide any fither information.

WOnder how many fewer complaints/questions that BT/MP's etc.. would receive from people who get that Exploring Solutions message when in fact they are getting FTTP.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User EddyTheDog
(regular) Sun 21-Feb-16 20:38:07
Print Post

Yep, that looks like a manifold for FTTP at the top of the pole to me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Feb-16 21:12:09
Print Post

Yes FTTP looks to be on the way

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 21-Feb-16 21:23:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Cheers for the feedback folks. What sort of distance does FTTP run to properties from the pole with the manifold on?

The road it's on is fairly long with properties on either side, most of which are semi detached or detached - I was thinking FTTRN was more likely given that the furthest properties on the road are probably 300+ meters away.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Feb-16 21:37:27
Print Post

Final drop can be almost any length technically

Each manifold can serve 8 to 12 properties.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Sun 21-Feb-16 21:38:27
Print Post

Broadly the same as wherever your DP is now. However you are served now by copper basically.
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(experienced) Mon 22-Feb-16 02:34:31
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:
Broadly the same as wherever your DP is now. However you are served now by copper basically.

Well not for long, because that's an FTTP distributing thingy at the top of the pole, so it's FTTP.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Mon 22-Feb-16 02:36:01)

(learned) Mon 22-Feb-16 11:06:59
Print Post

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

If it is the case, I'm surprised they've opted for FTTP really, especially if a single manifold can only supply so few properties, there's probably 30+ along the road, and some set back too.

Is it unusual for FTTP to be supplied through existing underground ducts and then back up a pole, then on to a DP? We happen to be on the other side of the road, essentially 2 poles along - our existing copper then goes underground and emerges at another pole that supplies the properties in our cul-de-sac (probably 60m if everything is in straight lines).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to